Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Parted Magic Continues Being Commercial-Only

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    I wish him all the luck, he will need it, but I do support his choice.

    Linux-savy users will just boot whatever they have at hand, ubuntu livecd, debian-gtk PXE, it won't matter they'll mange to do their tasks.

    Less-savy users, mostly from the M$ crowd, will need something that works, have no clue, and figure 'it is like partition magic'. If they buy it for their company, which doesn't care about 5 - 50 USD. Great, we'll see updated sources that benefit all, payed by them.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,551

    Default

    I always just used the GPartEd LiveCD for all my partitioning needs, so I don't really see why one would want to use Partition Magic...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I always just used the GPartEd LiveCD for all my partitioning needs, so I don't really see why one would want to use Partition Magic...
    That's exactly my point, why pay for Parted magic when Gparted is free and available on Ubuntu live CD? (and perhaps other distributions..)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default GPL compliant

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    While I wish him luck, I consider this form of commercialization to be completely wrong.

    If developer ships GPL + own modifications as distribution on CD, then:
    if his modifications are GPL too, he has to provide source to anyone, once public distributed; and he can't use any restrictions for further distribution even at zero cost.
    if he tries to avoid this, he has to use different license, I suggest proprietary; then he is in contraction with GPL concept and free software as is.
    You can find the source code in the document section. They aren't doing anything wrong or ilegal. Basically thay are charging for compiling.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by migueleonm View Post
    You can find the source code in the document section. They aren't doing anything wrong or ilegal. Basically thay are charging for compiling.
    And for the convenience of not having to create your own live media, has I don't know any other distro with has many disk utility on their live version, even through most of the software, in Parted Magic, should be available in their repository.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legluondunet View Post
    That's exactly my point, why pay for Parted magic when Gparted is free and available on Ubuntu live CD? (and perhaps other distributions..)
    I dunno, maybe to help fund the development of an excellent tool?

    Free software should not equate starving developers.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    I dunno, maybe to help fund the development of an excellent tool?

    Free software should not equate starving developers.
    Is Parted Magic made by the gparted developers? Does the money go to them? Otherwise, you are just paying for the mix, and while it takes work, I don't need it, I can as well do with a Xubuntu pendrive. I'd rather donate to the developers of the tool, instead.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Is Parted Magic made by the gparted developers? Does the money go to them? Otherwise, you are just paying for the mix, and while it takes work, I don't need it, I can as well do with a Xubuntu pendrive. I'd rather donate to the developers of the tool, instead.
    For some people you are right, I don't need it but it is useful and many people will find it useful too, it is more useful for windows users than for linux users. People can choose what to use.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    This is a bit similar to that other godawful "spazzlinux" (or something along those lines) which was in a phoronix article some time ago. The one that claimed to be the most beautiful and fastest linux relase because the developer had tried to do some suboptimizations to APT.
    I don't see any use for mot linux releases. Especially those that are nothing but remixes of some more popular release done by a one man dev-team.
    Why are people using these? Why do I see reviews of linux distros? It's pointless. Maybe a handful of sysadmin tools change about a bit, and the default desktop environment and background image. Sheeesh.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by migueleonm View Post
    For some people you are right, I don't need it but it is useful and many people will find it useful too, it is more useful for windows users than for linux users. People can choose what to use.
    Of course they can, I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing the counter argument only. Is it really supporting the developers, or some random individual making a distribution? I believe that's what makes or breaks the deal for several people here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •