Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD's New Catalyst Driver Is Available To All Linux Users

maybe is better to check straight in steamOS and see if there's an improvement there first, specially with the frame rate of games.

then compare with other distros.

Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    So, here is a question: I have been out of the Linux game for the past 3 years and when I left AMD looked like they would have working OS drivers in the next one or two years.; why are these closed drivers still neccesary? Are the OS drivers done yet? If so; what's taking so damn long?
    Ok. The open source drivers work for everything older than the HD 7000 series without a problem and perform at about 80%+ of catalyst in speed.
    The HD 7000 and newer drivers have just got caught up in terms of features and are now starting to get performance optimizations. Just recently, they found a major bottleneck in the drivers so its unknown how they currently perform as Micheal hasn't been able to perform benchmarks because of his trip.

Big cravat, not all the distro's have the powersaving and performance updates yet as they were ok for release by legal rather recently. New distro releases next year should have the powersave and video updates though.

Jumped ship from the official to this beta release. No issues installing after purging out all the old. Game performance seems a bit better, no input lag which to me was one of my biggest annoyances with the official driver. Maybe AMD is finally heading in the right direction with something?

Quote Originally Posted by makson View Post
    The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst™ Linux graphics driver to install and work optimally:
    - gimp-help-en
    - gimp-help-common
    Why the hell Catalyst is depending on GIMP help files?
    Quote Originally Posted by spartonicus View Post
    Game performance seems a bit better, no input lag which to me was one of my biggest annoyances with the official driver. Maybe AMD is finally heading in the right direction with something?
    That Gimp help files works miracles.

Anyway it didn't seem to improve stability besides the resize konsole crash and maybe the Opengl Screensaver crash.
    [372656] : Resolves crash when resizing Konsole
    [388325] : Resolves brightness adjustment issues
    [388818] : Resolves kernel module compile failure when CONFIG_UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS is enabled
    [388335] : Avoids the new GPL symbol acpi_bus_get_device for new kernel support
    [386897] : Resolves system hang on resume from S4 with OpenGL screen saver running

Resolved Issues:
    [372656] : Resolves crash when resizing Konsole
    [388325] : Resolves brightness adjustment issues
    [388818] : Resolves kernel module compile failure when CONFIG_UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS is enabled
    [388335] : Avoids the new GPL symbol acpi_bus_get_device for new kernel support
    [386897] : Resolves system hang on resume from S4 with OpenGL screen saver running

These ones were fixed in 13.11 version 9.4.

Quote Originally Posted by LN17 View Post
    These ones were fixed in 13.11 version 9.4.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-Driver.aspx

So it seems the release notes of the V9.95 version are just a joke then... cause it only resolves things that are already fixed in 9.4 and add support for SteamOS that is working with the 9.5 already... and the Gimp help files at the bottom...

The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst™ Linux graphics driver to install and work optimally:

gimp-help-en
    gimp-help-common

Catalyst 14.1 Beta - end of January
    Catalyst 14.2 Final/WHQL - end of February

From where do you get end of January/end of February dates ? The slide says Q1 and just 14.1 Beta.

I would be interested what the new distribution support means. (it is so general)

Quote Originally Posted by LN17 View Post
    I would be interested what the new distribution support means. (it is so general)
    I'd assume it's kernel and Xorg versions.

Default Randomly kills X11 for me.

This driver does seem to be a little snappier and my brightness quick keys now work. I was just starting to feel good about this new beta driver and then I opened up Google chrome and X11 crashed, LOL.

Looks like there's already a bug posted on this that looks similar - http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=990

I hope it doesn't take two years to fix like the brightness issue.

Come on AMD, you're almost there, prove to me that you give a crap.