Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Any C# IDE for Linux?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    821

    Default

    From a quick Internet search you get the following versions in various distros:

    Arch: 4.0.13 in Extra
    Debian: 3.0.3.2 in stable, 4.0.12 in unstable.
    Fedora: 2.8.8 in stable (20)
    Gentoo: 3.0.2 in stable, 4.2 in dotnet overlay.
    Mageia: 3.0.6 in stable (3), 4.0.12 in Cauldron.
    OpenSUSE: 3.0.6 in stable (13.1), 4.2.1 in Factory.
    Ubuntu: 3.0.3.2 in stable (13.10), 4.0.12 in alpha (14.04 alpha 1), 4.2.2 in a monodevelop PPA.

    So with the exception of Fedora, all major distros allow you to install a fairly recent version of MonoDevelop with very little effort. And you will find instructions how to build it yourself on monodevelop.org.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    So with the exception of Fedora, all major distros allow you to install a fairly recent version of MonoDevelop with very little effort.
    I must correct myself here, Fedora monodevelop repo has 4.2.1.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Any particular reason why you can't just save yourself the trouble and use superior libraries and tools like Qt Creator with Qt/C++?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    Any particular reason why you can't just save yourself the trouble and use superior libraries and tools like Qt Creator with Qt/C++?
    Saying that C++ is better than C# is like saying that a rotten apple is better than a rotten banana

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Saying that C++ is better than C# is like saying that a rotten apple is better than a rotten banana
    On Linux, it's undeniably true. On Windows, you may be right.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Saying that C++ is better than C# is like saying that a rotten apple is better than a rotten banana
    Are there any Linux developers that actually like using proprietary C#.NET/Mono Microsoft crap on Linux? That would be ironically hilarious -- you would have to be a masochist to enjoy it. Even if you were programming for Windows, C++/Qt is the best way to go as it is cross platform.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •