No announcement yet.

BSD forums now censoring discussions related to BSD licence usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a talk by Richard Stallman at Kent University about a year back. I think he is an awesome dude.

I asked him at the end what his views were on the BSD licenses (because I myself use both depending on the project). I absolutely agreed with his response that went something along the lines of...

GPL is a free license. BSD is a free license. I can use software licensed under both licenses for free as part of my software. However only the GPL ensures that the freedom of my users is also preserved

So if I went an grabbed some BSD licensed networking code and put it into my proprietary product. I have made use of free software, however my users will not see that benefit.

So both are free licenses (and people must be very naive if they can not understand that). However the GPL does seem to enforce freedom at all stages of a software's lifespan.

Like I said, I use both because in my opinion locking down open-source code into a product so people have an easier time making money overall is also something that I see as a freedom that I would like to give my immediate users.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen
      I went to a talk by Richard Stallman at Kent University about a year back. I think he is an awesome dude.

I asked him at the end what his views were on the BSD licenses (because I myself use both depending on the project). I absolutely agreed with his response that went something along the lines of...

GPL is a free license. BSD is a free license. I can use software licensed under both licenses for free as part of my software. However only the GPL ensures that the freedom of my users is also preserved

So if I went an grabbed some BSD licensed networking code and put it into my proprietary product. I have made use of free software, however my users will not see that benefit.

So both are free licenses (and people must be very naive if they can not understand that). However the GPL does seem to enforce freedom at all stages of a software's lifespan.

Like I said, I use both because in my opinion locking down open-source code into a product so people have an easier time making money overall is also something that I see as a freedom that I would like to give my immediate users.
      kpedersen here has proven who pathetic the BSD license is.

I disagree strongly with stallman on sometimes particularly the BSD license. I think it's non-free.

BTW kpedersen, I see you are a senior member of forums.FreeBSD.org. glade
      Last edited by endman; 21 January 2014, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen
        BTW kpedersen, I see you are a senior member of forums.FreeBSD.org. Glade to see you here cause we'll fix you up.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
          kpedersen here has proven who pathetic the BSD license is.

I disagree strongly with stallman on sometimes particularly the BSD license. I think it's non-free.

BTW kpedersen, I see you are a senior member of forums.FreeBSD.org. glade
          and you have the liberty to stick to GPL if you so desire. Your comment did not add any constructivism to kpedersen's comment, it was just an opinion. If you think your ad hominem attack is a legitimate argument, you're wrong!

Comment

All that Linux vs BSD stuff sucks.
            Everywhere i read BSD is more organized and whatnot. Guess what: Linux was never intended for a Big scale. Read the initial announcement:

The community made it what it is. BSD got a more organized Stucture because of its origins. Linux started from scratch, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and so on use a Base that was already there.

And for every "Linux > BSD" Guy that annoys anybody so much there is a "BSD < Linux" Guy. I even read a Post where somebody said that some should "please kill themselve".
            Both sides got Extremes. I remeber the good old times when Microsoft was the "enemy".

Use what you want. I chose Linux because me and BSD are not on the same "vibe". You know, the felling when installing something and thinking "nah, not for me". That doesnt mean that i spam the forum and tell everyone why my choice could be superior to some elses (what is isnt. its just a choice. grow up ).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              If you managed to sell your proprietary version, it means the code by itself was not sufficient for all you customers.
              You are depriving them of the freedom to see the code. You are giving them the freedom to use the code.
              There is no such thing as "freedom", only freedom to do this, or that, and GPL and BSD provide different ones, including to end users.

Comment

Originally posted by pythoner View Post
                All that Linux vs BSD stuff sucks..
                Its worse than that... people are now arguing between two free licenses rather than the operating systems themselves haha.

Originally posted by endman View Post
                BTW kpedersen, I see you are a senior member of forums.FreeBSD.org.
                Great to see you have the respect to write FreeBSD in it's correct case
                For disclosure, I am also a member of fedoraforum.org and loads of other open-source projects. Admittedly I fail to see your point here.

I also maintain the Mutiny 3D game engine (http://www.mutiny3d.org) which uses the GPLv3 license and a committer to the open-source CDE project (again, GPL). I am really not biased towards any specific license. However I do have preferences where each one is best used.

Personally from a users point of view, as long as I can access the code, I cant give two fscks what the license is under.

Comment

Working...
                X