Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Oh, you just wait until I'm an IT millionaire. I'll change my last name to Dotcom and build a 1000 m^2 basement like the world has never seen. With pools, sharks, lasers, and a fully automatic, armed drone security system. Oh and blackjack and hookers.
    Hey, it's smaller on the inside!

Default WIndows rt already locked users to Metro apps

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    I think he means whatever next Windows release that locks you to use Modern apps. Right now, you still have the option of getting your apps elsewhere and running them in desktop mode.
    If you recall, there has already been one version of Windows 8 that was a walled garden with only official Metro/Modern apps allowed: the failed Windows rt for ARM tablets. The existance of that combined with the Windows Store et al must have scared the crap out of Steam and Intel. Steam would have faced extortionate demands for "license" fees as a condition of entry to the Microsoft Store-or possibly the MS Store would have sought to replace Steam outright.

The rejection of Windows RT by consumers reduces but does not eliminate the threat that Windows 9 will be an Apple-style locked garden. Valve and Intel have now fired two heavy broadsides across Microsoft's bow. Like smugglers or poachers at sea, surely they understand what THAT means!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If you recall, there has already been one version of Windows 8 that was a walled garden with only official Metro/Modern apps allowed: the failed Windows rt for ARM tablets. The existance of that combined with the Windows Store et al must have scared the crap out of Steam and Intel. Steam would have faced extortionate demands for "license" fees as a condition of entry to the Microsoft Store-or possibly the MS Store would have sought to replace Steam outright.

The rejection of Windows RT by consumers reduces but does not eliminate the threat that Windows 9 will be an Apple-style locked garden. Valve and Intel have now fired two heavy broadsides across Microsoft's bow. Like smugglers or poachers at sea, surely they understand what THAT means!
    Still, desktop Win 8 is not. The point wasn't "there exists no walled-garden Windows" but rather "there exists at least one non-walled-garden Windows". Also, i disregard Windows RT and all Windows for mobile, for now. They aren't quite successful, so even if they weren't walled gardens it'd be pointless to port games there, IMO.
    I don't think they tried to sell licenses to Valve, either, as they want to be the ones taking the cut of the cake, and that wouldn't be possible with Steam circumventing their app store. They just don't want Steam at all, the way I see it. But right now they can't afford killing desktop mode in dektop Windows, they need people and specially developers to embrace Modern first.
    Lastly, I never implied that there is no threat they will be closing their garden, as it's obvious that's what they want to do. I just pointed out they haven't manage to completely do it yet.

Didn't Microsoft do something stupid like this a while back? It started with a V I think...

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Still, desktop Win 8 is not. The point wasn't "there exists no walled-garden Windows" but rather "there exists at least one non-walled-garden Windows"
    Yeah, so? What about Windows 9?

You might say Microsoft would never try forcing all software into their 'app store', but no-one thought Windows 8 would try to push a tablet interface onto the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    Yeah, so? What about Windows 9?

You might say Microsoft would never try forcing all software into their 'app store', but no-one thought Windows 8 would try to push a tablet interface onto the desktop.
    movieman. Read. The. Post.
    Answering comes after. When you thoroughly understand what I posted, complete, specially with the "it's obvious their intent is to force people to use their app store and they don't want Steam to get in the way of it".