Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Well, Mark said he's investing in their vision for a future converged ecosystem, but they could ditch it all right now and just keep server and cloud to be profitable. They're spending mostly for R&D for now, so when things are ready they will surely do better. Worst case scenario they ditch it and the community takes over.

And they're no Red Hat, but US$56 million is still quite a revenue for an open source company. They just need to spend (much) less. Maybe with their mobile device(s) out they will lose less?

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    But bzr, mir, upstart etc. makes Ubuntu so much better in the eyes of the users compared to other distros.....oh wait it doesn't.
    Upstart does to me, and if it's useful and they pull off what they intend to, Mir will do it too. I can't talk about BZR though. Unity DEFFINITELY does.

Quote Originally Posted by Baemir View Post
    Good, I hope they rot in hell.

And yes, I registered just to post this.
    Wow. What a waste of brain cells.

Quote Originally Posted by araxth View Post
    Their own Mobile OS is currently live on Chinese smartphones (some Phoronix articles on this topic but more on other sites). I suppose the OEM Chinese deal bought them / will bring them some extra coins. I am pretty curious how the Ubuntu Phone is working, the tech specs are quite awesome but i can only hope i would manage to lay my greedy hands on one of them soon.

Best,
    a,
    I wouldn't bet on it. If you look at other players in the space, mobile phone operating systems aren't exactly a high-margin product.

Quote Originally Posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I hate to break it to you guys but if it weren't for them doing things like forking gnome-shell, they wouldn't be so (as you call it) undeservingly popular.
    I hate to break it to you, but they are so undeserving popular because they prefer marketing over technical superiority, even to the extend that they release buggy instead of moving the release date.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Valve depends on a good desktop system for its userbase
    They seemed OK with Windows being that desktop system for years, why would they change now? It's not like Ubuntu's (or any Linux distribution) user-base represents a significant part of Steam's userbase anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by middy View Post
    If they didn't have to hire extra developers to fork gnome shell, mir, and create things like upstart
    systemd was created after upstart. Their store is the main selling point of Ubuntu, according to several users (I don't share this view as I'm really OK with synaptic, but to each their own).

Quote Originally Posted by araxth View Post
    Their own Mobile OS is currently live on Chinese smartphones (some Phoronix articles on this topic but more on other sites).
    IIRC, this phone is not in production yet, so I wouldn't say it *currently* lives.

Quote Originally Posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I hate to break it to you guys but if it weren't for them doing things like forking gnome-shell, they wouldn't be so (as you call it) undeservingly popular. So shut up or do something awesome like them
    Unity and the store, your are right. Mir, upstart, bzr? End-users don't even know what they are. Anyway, upstart was there before systemd. I have no idea if bazaar was there before git or if it is the other way around, but I don't feel like checking now. If systemd and git are better right now than their Canonical counter part is a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by middy View Post
    If they didn't have to hire extra developers to fork gnome shell, mir, and create things like upstart and their own store and rather used current standards like wayland and systemd they could easily cut developers cost.

Instead of needing a team of 30 developers or so they could have 10 - 15.
    The thing is, as a business it's better for them to have control on as many components of the stack along with their licenses, so they suit their requirements and to be able to differentiate themselves.

But then I wonder how Red Hat manages to top 1 billion $ revenue while mostly staying on the default stack (and contributing to it).

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    LOL

I hear you brother!

PS: Actually, i don't hate them, i just don't like the fact that they get too much attention from the media. They do not deserve it...
    Canonical is just another Apple-wannabe.
    But it doesn't and maybe never will have a solid technical or HCI foundation like Apple already had.

Default no china?

this a normal result, need to see this year if they acomplish what they want or if they fail

Quote Originally Posted by Baemir View Post
    Good, I hope they rot in hell.
    Considering the extreme temperatures on some places on Earth lately and an extended definition of "rot" as in decay by lack of profit instead of by fungi and bacteria then Canonical is already rotting in hell... like many other companies!

And yes, I registered just to post this.
    I don't like some choices from Canonical as well but registering to post a hate message? you seriously need a vacation...

Technical superiority has nothing to do with being the most popular. When I show someone something like Linux Mint they're like, oh it's like Windows, but it doesn't run Windows... When I show someone Ubuntu they're like, oh it looks like a Mac! And if they liked the idea of a Mac in the first place but were turned off by the high price, they'd go for Ubuntu instead. If they were thinking of getting Windows cause they needed Windows they aren't going to choose mint.

Ubuntu is seriously the most popular desktop Linux distro among the general population. If you're a programmer and you love Debian, Fedora or Mint, knock yourself out, but don't smear your crap about Ubuntu all over these forums.

Edit: Also, yes I believe Upstart was up and working before systemd was stable enough for the average user.
    Last edited by profoundWHALE; 01-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Canonical is just another Apple-wannabe.
    But it doesn't and maybe never will have a solid technical or HCI foundation like Apple already had.
    This. Canonical is like Apple or Google except without the success. Do not support them.