Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Is Making All Their Games Free To Debian Developers

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    it's just a way for valve to say thanks to debian developers, since steamos is based on debian.
    Don't go and do something ridiculous like bringing a succinct logical statement into this discussion... are you mad?

They're obviously not talking about that anymore, they're busy bitching about DRM... go bitch on Sony's/Nintendo/Microsoft/Apple forums/pages while you're at it guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    I don't see the actual problem of you people, regardless if you have a problem with DRM or not, this is a nice gesture from Valve and it is totally up to the individual Debian developer if he/she accepts that gift or not.
    And that's exactly what we're talking about. Yes, it is up to them, but it goes against Debian principles, hence why it's relevant. It may be a nice gesture from Valve, but it doesn't excuse their practices, and it doesn't mean that people should stop talking about the DRM problem. To me it's surprising how many people attempt to defend Steam's DRM, given that it really gives no benefit to users at all (the whole point of DRM is to be an anti-feature). The whole thread wouldn't be about it if there were no people trying to prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post

I'd ask a question, is any kind of DRM good? I know of none. They are all bad. But if you evaluate DRM only on the scale of comfort, you easily can come to "acceptable" forms. I don't evaluate it on the scale of comfort as as a primary issue, though I can say that any DRM always means reduced usability.
    Steam is DRM done right

Their is the restriction of games being tied to an account.
    That account can be used on any PC
    Now has the ability to share your games with other accounts
    After a one time activation games can be played offline
    You can back games up
    If the game maker wants it, you can bypass steam and load the game directly.
    So apart from a game being tied to an account, games having a one time online activation, and some folks fear of valve closing steam and one day disappearing.Most think the imposed restrictions are minimal and acceptable in comparison to other DRM options out there.

What most gamers don't like is when 3rd party DRM http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big...y_DRM_on_Steam is thrown on top of steam DRM
    If we are talking steam DRM restrictions are minimal
    Last edited by DDF420; 01-23-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDF420 View Post
    Steam is DRM done right
    And once again, there can be no "DRM done right", because there is no way to do DRM right. DRM is wrong by design. Yes, Steam's DRM is not obtrusive, but that doesn't make it "right".

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    And once again, there can be no "DRM done right", because there is no way to do DRM right. DRM is wrong by design. Yes, Steam's DRM is not obtrusive, but that doesn't make it "right".
    +1. Saying "DRM done right" is like saying police state done right. It's an oxymoron. But I see it once again. Some evaluate DRM only in the aspect of comfort and completely ignore the unethical principle behind it, or any other related concerns (privacy + security). So for them "right" means "unobtrusive", which simply means well hidden.
    Last edited by shmerl; 01-23-2014 at 01:34 AM.

And again, Valve isn't playing nice with their DRM, they are adding it as a requirement to use Steamworks
    How exactly do you think you can use Steamworks without logging in? Because that's what the DRM amounts to here, logging in. You had to log in to Phoronix in order to post this message, too, you couldn't do that without the "DRM".

"DRM done right" refers to the game being better with it than without. And that really is the situation on Steam right now.

I'd rather have my save games stored in the cloud and accessible from all my machines, than not have that. And there's no downside, as a user, except for the political and theoretical.

It's fine if you care enough about those political and theoretical things that you can't see anything else. But some people don't care that much, and in a practical sense there isn't anything bad going on.

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    great games like battlefield4, cod , nfs, fifa etc
    Ahahahahahahahaha

stop trolling...

How do you become a Debian Developer? You need SteamOS and a published game?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    First of all how do you know how Valve is using DRM? And how do you know how Valve is not using it?
    Wireshark. It's not hard to tell what little they are doing if you aren't an idiot.