No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Catalyst 14.1 Beta Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent, finally we have Ubuntu 13.10 production support. The last set of drivers were horribly unstable on my HD 6870, I had to switch to the open source mesa 10.1 pack.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      Thank you, Michael. I still hope AMD puts its Linux efforts solely behind the open source driver eventually, especially for all those people out there with cards that Catalyst no longer supports.
      I hope so too. I really don't see a need for AMD Catalyst as I'm getting good performance (between 30 to 60 FPS) when I play Portal at 1920x1080 with high settings with 16x AF and no AA. Sometimes it drops down to 20s during The Great Escape. This is with my AMD A10-5700.

I wouldn't count on playing Portal 2, since my 5700 is not powerful enough, even if Portal won't be released until later this year (ah, I better hurry since my 5-minute timer is about to expire).
      Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 02 February 2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Bare in mind people, that these drivers aren't just about the little people, but businesses that need the WHQL-styled drivers. That's what this particular version is. And it looks to be a good one, too. All the check boxes are ticked (Kaveri, 3.13 kernel, X.Org 1.15 et c, et c) for a good performing, power-efficient yet stable driver set. Hopefully there's a little bit of smooth sailing for AMD/Linux for a while.
        Hi

Comment

It is nice to see piglit mentioned a few times amongst the corrected bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
            Excellent, finally we have Ubuntu 13.10 production support. The last set of drivers were horribly unstable on my HD 6870, I had to switch to the open source mesa 10.1 pack.
            Ubuntu 13.10 + AMD Catalyst requires doing "sudo aticonfig --initial" + reboot, or it will be unstable (Chrome/KDE crashing down the Xserver etc.). This doesn't happen with other distributions like Debian with the same Xserver version though.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Ubuntu 13.10 + AMD Catalyst requires doing "sudo aticonfig --initial" + reboot, or it will be unstable (Chrome/KDE crashing down the Xserver etc.). This doesn't happen with other distributions like Debian with the same Xserver version though.
              Thanks, but I did that. It was still unstable for me on my system with the HD 6870.

Comment

Wow this is incredible guys!

Just ran the valley benchmark to see if there's some improvements:

Results Catalyst 13.12:
                FPS:
                Score:
                Min FPS:
                Max FPS:

And the Catalyst 14.1 driver:
                FPS:
                Score:
                Min FPS:
                Max FPS:

Both with preset "Extreme HD" @1920x1080.

No micro stuttering at all and even the Desktop experience is a lot smoother.

Very good job AMD devs!

Comment

Originally posted by flim View Post
                  Wow this is incredible guys!

Just ran the valley benchmark to see if there's some improvements:

Results Catalyst 13.12:
                  FPS:
                  Score:
                  Min FPS:
                  Max FPS:

And the Catalyst 14.1 driver:
                  FPS:
                  Score:
                  Min FPS:
                  Max FPS:

Both with preset "Extreme HD" @1920x1080.

No micro stuttering at all and even the Desktop experience is a lot smoother.

Very good job AMD devs!
                  what card? I will do a extreme hd 7870 test with heaven in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    what card? I will do a extreme hd 7870 test with heaven in a bit.
                    hd 7970

Comment

did run valley benchmark on my 5850 and see no difference between this and 13.12. it may be smoother. but average, min, max is same. IMHO they optimalize only for GCN cards now.

Comment

Working...
                      X