Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't create //usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so: File exists

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    If i change to /lib/modules/fglrx and execute ./make_install.sh i get:

FATAL:Error inserting fglrx(/lib/modules/2.6.27.23-0.1.default/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted
    All executed as root.
    A few things to consider. First either with the newer kernels or all 64 bits (I'm not sure) the files are put at /lib/modules/.../drivers/gpu, so this might explain install error.

Second, the autoinstaller needs 32 bit libraries to install, even on a 64 bit system. I haven't got fglrx working yet on a 64 bit system.

Did you compile your own kernel and enable the msi options?

Maybe PAT with your hardware might be issue.

What is your hardware and linux distribution

I have made a successful installation on an identical system (regarding the software)

I'm running opensuse 11.1 64bit with the default kernel and my VGA is an HD4670.

The successful install was made on a HD3200.

Quote Originally Posted by forum1793 View Post
    A few things to consider. First either with the newer kernels or all 64 bits (I'm not sure) the files are put at /lib/modules/.../drivers/gpu, so this might explain install error.

Second, the autoinstaller needs 32 bit libraries to install, even on a 64 bit system. I haven't got fglrx working yet on a 64 bit system.
    Update; I did just compile a 2.6.27.25 kernel for slackware64-current.
    The catalyst autoinstaller 9-6 worked fine, no patching required. This means 32 bit libs are not needed or slackware64-current now has them.

For the 2.6.27.25 kernel the autoinstaller puts fgrlx in /lib.../drivers/char/drm and not /lib.../drivers/gpu, although it probably doesn't matter.

My system is hd3200 (780g)

edit: removed comment about sound over hdmi not working. I forgot to unmute it. alsamixer -c1. Too many versions running.

You may wish to compare your kernel config files between the two machines.

But, if all other things are equal to your two systems, I would think the problem must be due to the graphics card and the driver parts unique to it.
    Last edited by forum1793; 06-20-2009 at 05:32 PM.

I have made a successful install by generating distribution specific rpm from the installer.

The produced rpm package is installed correctly without errors (at least as far i can see) but when i try to execute:

Code:
    sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx
    i'm getting a black screen and the system freezes (needs hard reset).

Did you run sax2 before or after aticonfig --initial ?

My guess is that you don't need sax2 if you run aticonfig --initial (and you *should* run aticonfig --initial)

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Did you run sax2 before or after aticonfig --initial ?

My guess is that you don't need sax2 if you run aticonfig --initial (and you *should* run aticonfig --initial)
    I always run "aticonfig --initial" before trying to ran sax2.

Also without running sax2 after "aticonfig --initial", i have the same result. Black screen and the system freezes.

I have the exact same behavior (blank screen and system freeze) on a fresh installed Linux Mint 7 x86_64.

It seems that something is broken in the fglrx driver regarding HD4670 hardware.

It's more likely to be specific to the distro or system than the hardware, FWIW.

What is your hardware anyway?

For distribution, maybe consider: ubuntu, fedora, slackware. Seem to be more users of these.

What is sax2 anyway?

Bridgman: I never knowingly run aticonfig --initial. Maybe the catalyst autoinstaller runs it? After I install new catalyst, I review xorg.conf, see nothing new, and copy my old one back over. Why should this be run?

Bridgman: does his post #10 give any clue?

Sax2 is a utility for configuring and managing graphics subsystems.

http://en.opensuse.org/SaX2

I don't know exactly what aticonfig --initial does but it seems to be the only "absolute must do" stop in our installation instructions, and whenver I talk to our devs one of the first questions they ask is "did they run aticonfig properly ?".

Post 10 goes to a level of detail I don't really know with fglrx; probably should get it into a bugzilla ticket so the devs can see it.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-25-2009 at 11:44 PM.