Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 99

Thread: LGP To Start Work On Another Game

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    174

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Meh, I thought it was Sacred 2

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Why even bother porting such old and unpopular games to Linux? Will skip!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Why even bother porting such old and unpopular games to Linux? Will skip!
    Ditto, another 4 year old game isn't worth the money especially when it has a platinum rating on wine. Why would I spend $60 for a game that I can pick up in a bargin bin for $5 and just run it in wine?

  5. #15

    Default

    This is not a fair way to treat LGP. They've worked to get this and Sacred isn't really such a bad deal. While the truth is that the game is now probably in the bargain bins on Windows, they are continuing to work on getting games to the Linux end. You people need to show some appreciation over the kind of work they are doing. I hope LGP takes into account the pricings because there is a price point to contest with, but at the same time, more power to them. Sacred isn't a very old game, but it's not new either (Sacred 2 is about to come out, I reckon).

    I am just tired over the Linux folks bickering about why are they bothering to port bla bla bla. If you don't want it, don't buy it. There are people who are happy over the news. Stop whining. Stop bickering. You probably don't know the entire industry picture and how much into hell these guys went into to get this game.

    Just my two cents.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    If one never voices why they would not buy a product the situation will never improve. Let's be realistic, gamers want games that are going to exploit their systems. They spend money on the latest videocards, motherboards and processors and would like to see them used. Take a look at the phoronix results site and you'll see that pretty much any machine there is overkill for an aging game.

    Wow and flash is what gets attention, there is no better example of that then compiz fusion. The eyecandy is what has drawn the largest segment of new users to linux since it's debut. Go into any linux forum or chat room and you will see that the eyecandy is what the n00bs all want to know how to get going.

    Start getting games released in linux that push the machines to their capability to draw attention that linux is a viable gaming OS and the "prejudice's and misconceptions" that it's not good at gaming would start melting away. Tell any Windows users (hell even a Mac user) that a game that was released four years ago is finally available for linux at a premium price and ,if they are at least polite, will simply smirk and turn away.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    174

    Default

    if the linux version of ancient game was to introduce more capabilities/possibilities to the platform (as opposed to a more recent game pushing your comp to the limits) I would be stoked to buy the game (for the artwork, characters etc). For example, the open sourcing of q3 code produced many benefits for the codebase (see ioquake3).

    Perhaps if LGP was to convince that the sacred engine would BENEFIT as a result of open sourcing... perhaps then the engine might intrigue coders into making it "wow and flash" others. Silver tree comes 2 my mind....

    LGP deserve the credit for getting the deal to publish the game (my lil bro loves this game) BUT they should try and make more of an impact on the Linux/GPL ecosystem so then all their effort is not wasted on a solitary game which possibly goes unpurchased.

    Icculus mentions this in that UCLUG talk as well - his focus has shifted from porting games to porting engines....

    an old linux.com article dated from 2004 http://www.linux.com/feature/37857 states the possibilities (while referring to the doom 3 engine)...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    if the linux version of ancient game was to introduce more capabilities/possibilities to the platform (as opposed to a more recent game pushing your comp to the limits) I would be stoked to buy the game (for the artwork, characters etc). For example, the open sourcing of q3 code produced many benefits for the codebase (see ioquake3).

    Perhaps if LGP was to convince that the sacred engine would BENEFIT as a result of open sourcing... perhaps then the engine might intrigue coders into making it "wow and flash" others. Silver tree comes 2 my mind....

    LGP deserve the credit for getting the deal to publish the game (my lil bro loves this game) BUT they should try and make more of an impact on the Linux/GPL ecosystem so then all their effort is not wasted on a solitary game which possibly goes unpurchased.

    Icculus mentions this in that UCLUG talk as well - his focus has shifted from porting games to porting engines....

    an old linux.com article dated from 2004 http://www.linux.com/feature/37857 states the possibilities (while referring to the doom 3 engine)...
    Opensourcing the engines would be absolutely lovely but unfortunatly the engines are where the money is at in game development. I could only imagine the possibilities of what the infinity engine could be made to do. The falcon 4 mod teams when they were presented with the source under NDA completely modernized the capabilities of an old sim. Until this day because of this agreement, Falcon 4.0 still remains the undisputed flight combat sim that utilizes and still can push modern systems to their limits. There aren't too many games out there that after decade can still say they are actively being officially patched (Last official patch was 2008-1-27)

    (PS A Falcon 4 port to linux, despite being a 10 year old sim, would be far more profitable for LPG and it's a game that really has no substitute in windows let alone linux)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZedDB View Post
    Meh, I thought it was Sacred 2
    If this does decent, it WILL be that next.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Ditto, another 4 year old game isn't worth the money especially when it has a platinum rating on wine. Why would I spend $60 for a game that I can pick up in a bargin bin for $5 and just run it in wine?
    Heh... So you can run it in Wine... With what class of machine, pray tell, Deanjo?

    It's worth noting that your remarks with regards to stretching machines is valid- for the power gamer crowd. You. Me. What about the rest of the Linux community? They're not you or I.

    Furthermore, you want Sacred 2 and things like it?

    You're NOT going to get them with the attitude you're espousing here. PERIOD. Each purchase of even a "bargain bin" version of the Windows title is a vote for THAT platform. Each vote counts against you even though you're using Linux. They don't give a damn about how many people are using Linux (even though it's a hell of a lot more than the 10 million that keeps getting bandied around by IDC...)- all they care about is how many units of an SKU sells.

    When you buy a Windows version and run it under WINE, you inflate the numbers for the Windows version.

    All of you keep WHINING about not having software around to play- well, you guys are part of the damn problem, not the solution when you claim "why would I buy that when I can run it in WINE" or similar. When you DON'T buy some of those "old" titles, the studios and publishers don't have any metrics whatsoever on the prospects of selling things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •