Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 267

Thread: Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Well, id games will have a linux client, everybody knows that. Even Rage will, that's because Carmack believes in open source, if only as a hobbyist tool. They are a commercial company afterall. What i see here, with this possible and sudden "change of plans" is money. Monetary interests keep the stakes too high, thus trivial things like releasing a bunch of binaries compatible with linux become national security-like subjects. Maybe the high stakes money driven games industry is just incompatible with the open, modular nature of free software.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    In an ideal world I would love to see intel, now that they have acquired the Project Offset engine, release it as opensource under a license that allows it to be used commercially for free with the stipulation that any engine changes be opensource as well, leaving only the creative content protected. There would be no issues with porting titles then.

    But alas, I'm pretty sure intel acquired the engine for only one reason. To optimize it for larabee in an attempt to kill the GPU business. They have closed the sites forums and what was supposed to be a crossplatform game is now Windows and Xbox360 only. Pity the team that created the engine were responsible for Savage which embraced the alternate community.

    For those who haven't heard of Project Offset, you can check out the video here in HD.

    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22926.html?type=flv

  3. #113
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xav1r View Post
    Well, id games will have a linux client, everybody knows that. Even Rage will
    By not announcing the client if they have been making one and then choose not to release it people can't complain because it was never announced. It allows companies to change their plans for whatever reason and means when there are large delays they don't (or their product) become a huge joke (DNF I'm looking at you).

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo
    In an ideal world I would love to see intel, now that they have acquired the Project Offset engine, release it as opensource under a license that allows it to be used commercially for free with the stipulation that any engine changes be opensource as well, leaving only the creative content protected. There would be no issues with porting titles then.

    But alas, I'm pretty sure intel acquired the engine for only one reason. To optimize it for larabee in an attempt to kill the GPU business. They have closed the sites forums and what was supposed to be a crossplatform game is now Windows and Xbox360 only. Pity the team that created the engine were responsible for Savage which embraced the alternate community.

    For those who haven't heard of Project Offset, you can check out the video here in HD.

    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22926.html?type=flv
    Project Offset looked amazing I was really disappointed when they were bought by intel because now they are going to probably become a Ray Tracing/Larrabee tech demo.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Maybe because it has DRM?

    Seriously, I don't know. Wasn't Valve owned or had an agreement with Vivendi? IIRC, it was Vivendi who stopped Blizzard from having a Linux client for WoW.
    Say what now? Do you have a link to more information about this? I didn't even think Blizzard was working on a Linux client.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zerix01 View Post
    Say what now? Do you have a link to more information about this? I didn't even think Blizzard was working on a Linux client.
    During the WOW beta there was a working linux client so they definitely where working on it at one stage.

    Edit: it might have been when the alpha testing was being done and then got removed when beta hit, I can't remember.
    Last edited by Aradreth; 05-21-2008 at 10:51 AM.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Yes, it was somewhere between the alpha and beta process. Remember there was a site setup to gather as many signatures as possible to get a WoW client? Originally it was said that if the Linux community could pull as many as 20K it might just come to be, the page gathered no less than 100K signatures, and then Linux supported was removed (or was it? Maybe Blizzard still has the client laying around, who knows)

  7. #117
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Yes, it was somewhere between the alpha and beta process. Remember there was a site setup to gather as many signatures as possible to get a WoW client? Originally it was said that if the Linux community could pull as many as 20K it might just come to be, the page gathered no less than 100K signatures, and then Linux supported was removed (or was it? Maybe Blizzard still has the client laying around, who knows)
    I wasn't using linux back then so I didn't know about the petition but I was intrested in WOW as I'm a fan of Blizzards games generally (I played D2 way to much ) and read about the linux client and was impressed. (I didn't change to linux before because I was a pretty hardcore gamer back then) I would have thought for 100k signatures making a client would have been common sense. I mean that's a lot of money in subscriptions.

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    I secretly hope for a SC2 client, how silly of me

  9. #119
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    I secretly hope for a SC2 client, how silly of me
    It's not just you.

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    I wasn't using linux back then so I didn't know about the petition but I was intrested in WOW as I'm a fan of Blizzards games generally (I played D2 way to much ) and read about the linux client and was impressed. (I didn't change to linux before because I was a pretty hardcore gamer back then) I would have thought for 100k signatures making a client would have been common sense. I mean that's a lot of money in subscriptions.
    Well, no explanation was given why did they cancel the project, and 8 million subscriptions later, I don't think they miss those 100K much, personally. However I find it odd that they do know that a LOT of users use WoW under Linux, plus they worked with Wine and Cedega to make it possible that WoW ran as close as possible to native. As far as I was aware (never looked into that much) Vivendi had something to do with Blizzard dropping native support.


    It would be incredible if this time around they did decided to go native for Starcraft 2, but there has been no mention of it (as far I am aware, anyway)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •