Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Installing latest Open Source ATI drivers under Ubuntu 8.04

Smile UbuntuStudio Hardy w/ Radeon Mobility x1600(M56P) : Success!

So I went the the guide for installing the RadeonHD driver and have had success. GLXGears runs around 1500fps. My 2d windows and such are snappy. I also just watched some video that was smooth.
    I listed to some music with a 3d visualization that slowed my mouse response quite a bit. Also, one of the times I ran GLXGears and moved its window my computer froze hard, I had to hard reset it, but it hasn't happened since. My Xorg log still says something about my chipset not being identified, but glxinfo seems happy and I have DRI. My xorg.log is here for reference. Let me know if you would like me to test anything. FYI: I am running UbuntuStudio so its a Real Time kernel, EXA accel and DRI enabled.

Obviously in his ego-fueled rage, gordboy failed to see the warning on the Xorg-edgers page, which clearly states:
    the "xorg-edgers" repository might have all kind of updated libraries and stuff, and drivers built here might not work other places.
    I'm not sure how or why anyone would assume that the edgers packages are in any way recommended for use for anything other than graphics hardware and/or driver testing and development. It blows my mind that this guy would take issue with a small packaging difference in a set of packages that is specifically indicated as a "dirty" testing area. Pathetic display of ego, actually.

Please don't ruin this thread with personal attacks.

Anyway, doing on-the-edge testing with a year old distribution does not make sense, so this thread should die anyway. Maybe somebody can unstickify it?

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    Anyway, doing on-the-edge testing with a year old distribution does not make sense, so this thread should die anyway. Maybe somebody can unstickify it?
    Excellent suggestion.

Porter, I was actually objecting to Tormod's catalog of lies relating to his attempt to package the drivers etc. He made some fundamental mistakes in packaging and then tried to deny and obfuscate his way out of his self-inflicted predicament.

The drivers themselves actually work fine, but the packaging was, well ..... shoddy.

Interesting that you should choose to comment on a thread that is well past its Sell By date. And very interesting that you should choose to go on the attack. But if it satisfies your ego-fuelled desires, by all means continue ...

The instructions do not work for DRM

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)

What do I do next?

TIA
    Regards

Are you actually using 8.04 Ubuntu ? If not you'll probably want different instructions.

Which GPU/distro/driver are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are you actually using 8.04 Ubuntu ? If not you'll probably want different instructions.

Which GPU/distro/driver are you using ?
    Bridgman

Yes

lsb_release -rd
    Description: Ubuntu 8.04.2
    Release: 8.04

2.6.24-24-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 15 15:11:35 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My Xorg.conf is setup correct AFAIK
    installed xorg-video-ati 6.12.1 deb and followed the drm instructions in steps 2 n 3.

Don't plan to upgrade to 8.10 in the next 3 months atleast ...

Let me know if you want the output of any cmds to debug?

TIA
    Regards

ooh sorry - mobo is 780G with HD3200.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragool View Post
    ooh sorry - mobo is 780G with HD3200.
    You know that there is no free 3d acceleration for your chip yet? If you want 2d accel (exa) you need a new drm module, but shadowfb should be fast enough...