ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650: crash on X startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650: crash on X startup

[Disclaimer: This is a crosspost from forums.opensuse.org. I did not receive any answer there.]

I am trying to use the proprietary catalyst driver with my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 chipset on an HP Elitebook 8530p on a newly installed openSUSE 11.1.

Version 8.11 of the driver installs fine, X starts up fine, but it is running quite unstable (frequent crashes when playing video, switching consoles,...).

But when installing a newer driver (8.12 or 9.1) the machine crashes on the startup of X (under Gnome and KDE 4.x, under GDM and KDM), leaving a blank screen and an unresponsive machine. I used the same procedure to install 8.11 and 8.12/9.1: Download driver, run, ati-config --initial (I tried with and without sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx).

I also tried to replace /etc/ati/amdpcsdb with /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default.

Does somebody have any idea, on what I am doing wrong? Or did I find a bug in the driver itself?

In the Xorg.0.log file I find (for 8.12) the following lines:
    Code:
    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x79) [0x80c0c19]
    1: [0xffffe400]

Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
    /var/log/messages:
    Code:
    [fglrx:fireglAsyncioIntEnableMsgHandler] *ERROR* interrupt source ff000066 is not supported on this hardware (return code = 1)
    Full Xorg.0.log files:
    (8.12): http://pastebin.com/f3a672c79
    (9.1): http://pastebin.com/f4d75c047

lspci -vvnn: http://pastebin.com/f4094dffc
    xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/f344718b2

---
    The original message was posted on:
    Last edited by dgrafenhofer; 01 February 2009, 02:27 PM. Reason: Added lspci output AND error in /var/log/messages AND xorg.conf

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
    [Disclaimer: This is a crosspost from forums.opensuse.org. I did not receive any answer there.]

I am trying to use the proprietary catalyst driver with my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 chipset on an HP Elitebook 8530p on a newly installed openSUSE 11.1.

Version 8.11 of the driver installs fine, X starts up fine, but it is running quite unstable (frequent crashes when playing video, switching consoles,...).

But when installing a newer driver (8.12 or 9.1) the machine crashes on the startup of X (under Gnome and KDE 4.x, under GDM and KDM), leaving a blank screen and an unresponsive machine. I used the same procedure to install 8.11 and 8.12/9.1: Download driver, run, ati-config --initial (I tried with and without sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx).

I also tried to replace /etc/ati/amdpcsdb with /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default.

Does somebody have any idea, on what I am doing wrong? Or did I find a bug in the driver itself?
    Nice to find somebody with pretty much the same notebook!
    I seem to have gotten pretty close to the same point at which you are (same error messages and behaviour).

I know that at least with the 9.1 version of catalyst something works (i.e. basic X started, which is kinda successful for me).

While I cannot solve your problem, I can at least share my experience. I used that this script of the Kanotix guy. It does a pretty good job -- on debian based systems. Using it on the live-CD "grml" I found it worked on the 64-bit version but not on the 32-bit one.
    Currently I'm re-installing my laptop with 64-bit debian/lenny and will check the kanotix script there.

My self-compiled version lead to the error that lead me to your post, so my guess is that the compilation is a bit tricky.

Btw: I've re-flashed the bios in order to try to enforce powersaving for the card, but didn't find any difference between original values and 10% of those.

So long,
    M.

Comment

Meanwhile I alsot tried to install catalyst 9.1 on opensuse 11.1 64bit and the kantonix scripts on ubuntu 8.10 (32-bit). Without success. I really do not know (and care to be honest) if this is a bug in the driver or the install script.

I somewhere read, that this bug - or a similar one - is known upstream. So I hope that it gets fixed in catalyst 9.2.

Btw. where can I report bugs to ATI: http://ati.cchtml.com ?

Comment

Meanwhile I alsot tried to install catalyst 9.1 on opensuse 11.1 64bit and the kantonix scripts on ubuntu 8.10 (32-bit). Without success. I really do not know (and care to be honest) if this is a bug in the driver or the install script.

I somewhere read, that this bug - or a similar one - is known upstream. So I hope that it gets fixed in catalyst 9.2.

Btw. where can I report bugs to ATI: http://ati.cchtml.com ?
        I added tickets at support.ati.com, but they're not quite helpful.

I've meanwhile testet Kano's script on my Debian/lenny-64-bit and didn't succeed.

But I found that the driver works, if I boot with acpi=off, which kind of ridiculous, as only one core is available and no powersave/powerplay featuers at all.

Did I mention that the Elitebook 8530p has an MXM-II slot. I.e. the graphics card can be replaced (unfortunately intel does not support MXM....)

Comment

Update [Catalyst 9.2] - Situation unchanged:

I tried out the new catalyst 9.2 on ubuntu 8.10 32-bit and opensuse 11.1 64-bit. Unfortunately, nothing changed: I still experience a crash of the X server on startup.

Originally posted by 00marcus View Post
          Did I mention that the Elitebook 8530p has an MXM-II slot. I.e. the graphics card can be replaced (unfortunately intel does not support MXM....)
          Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Update [Catalyst 9.3]:

The problem persists on ubuntu 8.10 32-bit.

Even more worrying is that the crash also occurs with the catalyst 9.4 pre-release on ubuntu 9.04 beta.

I wondering whether this issue will ever be fixed. Probably we have to wait for the OSS-driver(s) catching up 3D and power management support. What is really annoying is that it is impossible to get in contact with ATI regarding this issue.

Sadly, I am really starting to feel ripped off...

Comment

Hey guys, I have the same HD3650 in a 8530p. Finally found a solution to this problem. On newer Catalyst versions (think 9.1+) just run this command as root:

aticonfig --acpi-services=off

Fixed the black screen for me. Tested on Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit (fglrx 9.3) and 9.04 32 bit (fglrx 9.4 pre-beta). Should work on other distributions but I didn't test.
              Last edited by shiftear; 29 March 2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shiftear View Post
                I will try this out myself and report back in a second. Do you know if this does turn off the powersaving features of the card?

Comment

I will try this out myself and report back in a second. Do you know if this does turn off the powersaving features of the card?
                  I have no idea, aticonfig --odgc reports that my card is not supported and cannot retrieve clocks and & other info.

Anyway, I get around 3 hours on battery out of my 8530p so it's not too bad.

Edit:
                  I'm on 9.04 right now I and see compiz paired with fglrx still has issues -> slow window resize, about 1 sec delay when unminimizing a window, slow movie playback (frames dropped), crash when full screen a movie window (only totem tested).

On 8.10 with catayst 9.3 it works amazingly well.
                  Last edited by shiftear; 29 March 2009, 05:20 AM.

Comment

On ubuntu 8.10 (32-bit, catalyst 9.3) and ubuntu 9.04 post-beta (64-bit, catalyst pre-9.4) running

after "aticonfig --initial" really fixes the X-server crash.

I have tested the catalyst driver a bit under ubuntu 8.10 and my first impression is, that the performance has significantly improved over the "stock driver" shipping with ubuntu 8.10.

Thanks a lot for the hint shiftear!

Comment

Working...
                    X