No announcement yet.

VDPAU eqivilent forATI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, RealNC. My intention with that last post was not to be cynical, but realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
      Do you know how many servers use an el cheapo ATI card?
      Most servers I've worked with run headless .

Comment

It is interesting that everyone blames amd not provide video decoders when there is already library to implement them without special library in driver. You just have to use stream sdk and implement decoder using it. Of course it is possible to use shaders directly tough opengl

Comment

I'd refine your answer to - anyone hoping to do complicated desktop stuff with their graphics cards ie compositing effects, video playback and TV out/HDMI output should probably stick to Nvidia.
          All of the things you mentioned will work even with open drivers possibly even in a matter of months. It's not the things you mentioned that are the problem. It's using the dedicated decoding chip which would reduce the amount of CPU usage. Things work fine with modern computers without it but playing back MPEG4 FullHD is a lot less of a strain on the system with it and works with older CPU's. That is, we're not talking of video playback or even video acceleration - we're talking about video decoding acceleration. That's the tricky bit.

Comment

Sorry but thats dumb.

Do you know how many servers use an el cheapo ATI card? Quite alot... And they work fine on linux.
            lol

Seriously, we don't talk about servers here. But I suppose you already know that, in which case I fail to see why you're starting a discussion about servers at all. It's irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              lol

Seriously, we don't talk about servers here. But I suppose you already know that, in which case I fail to see why you're starting a discussion about servers at all. It's irrelevant.
              It was kindof a joke cause someone said linux generally.

I wasnt exactly being serious...

As for the headless guy, know many headless servers without a VGA console?

And yeah the opensource driver will catch up, but its gonna be longer than you say. Adoption in distros will take time, and it has a lot of work to do before it can even try and match the nvidia one.

Comment

The big point I'm actually trying to make is that "Linux sucks" is a common occurrence among people who tried Linux because they heard it's cool but they're on ATI... AMD/ATI has, IMO, done some great damage to the image of Linux. The suckiness of their drivers transforms into "Linux sucks". I never advocated Linux to anyone I know who has an ATI card. And as you know, most of the time it's the first impression that counts (which would explain ATI's smaller market share when compared to NVidia even on Windows; their drivers were suckage even there. Getting better has not helped them much due to first impressions. And Linux is getting a really, really, really bad first impression by ATI owners.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  And as you know, most of the time it's the first impression that counts (which would explain ATI's smaller market share when compared to NVidia even on Windows; their drivers were suckage even there.
                  Ati drivers have been more stable than Nvidia's since the first Vista betas. This has not changed - there is common functionality that still works better on Ati than Nvidia. For example, plugging in a secondary monitor then plugging it out - Nvidia drivers up to, and including, the 185 betas will completely mess up your desktop resolution and icons. Ati also comes with the awesome Hydravision, which fixes on of the biggest issues with Windows (lack of multiple desktops).

The situation on Linux is obviously different, but not nearly as bad as you make it to be. Right now, I have three Nvidia systems (6800, 7600 and Quadro NVS 135) and three Ati ones (9600, X1950, 4850). The 7600 provides the best experience of the lot but, like the 6800, suffers from intermitent color corruption issues (introduced around Ubuntu 7.10 - still not fixed). The Quadro NVS 135 is by far the worst card I've had the mis-fortune to own: it is simply unusable with Compiz (or Aero) and very very slow without.

On the Ati side, the 9600 and X1950 work great with the OSS drivers, fast and stable, lagging behind only on OpenGL. The 4850 works perfectly without Compiz (yes, perfectly) and acceptably with it. I can watch flickerless 720p through OpenGL, so the lack of decode acceleration is not that big an issue (for me - I can see it being a problem for slower computers).

So yes, I agree that Nvidia provides a better experience on Linux than Ati, but the difference is not nearly as big as you make it.
                  Last edited by BlackStar; 12 May 2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Ati drivers have been more stable than Nvidia's since the first Vista betas.
                    Yet still you hear people saying they suck. As I said, first impressions. Their early XP drivers were a disaster and people still claim they suck. "First impressions."

The difference on Linux is big. Video is tearing. Compositing is buggy and ugly (no vsync, maximizing has extreme lag.) Crashes and instability. More than enough for everyone to wipe the Linux partition and go back to Vista. "Linux sucks." It should be "ATI sucks" but no one really cares. They're just trying out that Linux thing and find it's pure suckage.

I'm talking about Catalyst here obviously. The open drivers only support ancient hardware and even then, they're too slow and Wine is out of the question.
                    Last edited by RealNC; 12 May 2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

@BlackStar

Try a 3450 on lenny (xserver 1.4.2) and you will start hating fglrx it as soon as you want to watch a video. Maybe textured video needs a 4850 to be playable, when you activate compiz with a 3450 then you see a slideshow, but no video, and even without compiz you have lots of tearing.

Comment

Working...
                      X