Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 35 Released With Aura Replacing GTK+

Phoronix: Chrome 35 Released With Aura Replacing GTK+

Google has released Chrome 35 today for Windows, OS X, and Linux platforms. Special about the Linux version of Chrome 35 is that it replaces the GTK interface with their in-house Aura system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks more native now although the icons are still terrible, but I am experiencing some lag with the scrollbar on the right side, good thing is that the scrollbar is finally more visible as it no longer blends in the background like it used to.

Comment

Desktop notifications are a disaster now in Ubuntu -- breaks notify-OSD and redraws the indicator icon every time you get a mail or a chat. Lots of stuttering. I locked version 31 in Trusty.

Comment

Nice to get rid of GTK. But why replace it with their own in-house private crap? The counter for NIH re-invention of wheels for browsers must be larger than the version numbers of Firefox and Chrome combined..

Comment

Looks very ugly in Arch!! At least we still have Firefox

Comment

Awesome update. Runs and looks perfectly with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (AMD E-350, Catalyst 14.4). Very fast and stable. With Aura, Firefox is left further and further in the dust...

Comment

Chrome 35 still not good for youtube.
              It defaults to the HTML5 player which is a CPU drain. A simple 480p vid takes 30-60% CPU + another chrome process in the background taking further 10-30% of the CPU, that's horrible. Otoh Firefox takes like 20% (the flashplugin) and 12% (FF itself) respectively.

Using Nvidia's proprietary driver.

Comment

I'm impressed

I'm using open source Radeon drivers (Radeon HD 5750), and other graphic cards may not see such a difference, but it's day and night compared to previous versions (and Firefox!).
                It feels so smooth now, i'm really impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Awesome update. Runs and looks perfectly with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (AMD E-350, Catalyst 14.4). Very fast and stable. With Aura, Firefox is left further and further in the dust...
                  I am also running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS but with open source Radeon driver I am experiencing some lag and jumpy behaviour with the scrollbar when I drag it with mouse (does not happen when scrolling with wheel on mouse), dont know whether the drivers are to blame. Everything else works perfectly and I agree with your comment on Firefox being left in the dust, I use it as a second browser for a few tasks and it is definitely slower than Chrome, and it lags when faced with significant load of heavy websites (lots of images and javascript), while Chrome works normally under the same load, the only improvement is the new UI in Firefox, it looks quite nice but speed did not improve, now if only Chrome would get better icons it would be nearly perfect.

Comment

Icons on the bookmarks bar no longer follow GTK Styling, same with the text.

Shame, I liked that.

Comment

Working...
                    X