Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta Driver Coming Soon To Linux

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta Driver Coming Soon To Linux

The first beta release of the Catalyst 14.6 proprietary Linux graphics driver will soon be available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wonder if my 7850 will finally work on Ubuntu Trusty....so far unusable fglrx and terrible fan speeds with open source drivers lead me to unplug the card and use HD4600 in my Core i5 instead. Far, far more usable drivers, but no gaming

Comment

Hmm, something finally comes specificaly for Kabini - JPEG decode , but on Windows only it seems .

Comment

I'm wondering whether this will actually be a usable Linux Driver from AMD.

Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by majod View Post
          I really wonder if my 7850 will finally work on Ubuntu Trusty....so far unusable fglrx and terrible fan speeds with open source drivers lead me to unplug the card and use HD4600 in my Core i5 instead. Far, far more usable drivers, but no gaming
          Did you try the oibaf ppa?
          Works very well with my 7870 (Also Pitcairn bases like your 7850). I did not notice more fan noise, but maybe thats just because I have a pretty silent one.
          Only problem I have are some shaders that cause register spilling and that wasn't/isn't supported. But I think there already is a fix/implementation that hopefully will make it into the ppa soon.

Comment

Originally posted by majod View Post
            I have a 7850, and my little time with 14.4, fglrx was fine with it. I only tried Dota 2 though.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Hmm, something finally comes specificaly for Kabini - JPEG decode , but on Windows only it seems .

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8058/a...tionality-more
              Nope, it was posted to libjpeg-turbo months ago. All platforms. They just don't like to talk openly about being open, yet it would be great PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut View Post
                Did you try the oibaf ppa?
                Works very well with my 7870 (Also Pitcairn bases like your 7850). I did not notice more fan noise, but maybe thats just because I have a pretty silent one.
                Only problem I have are some shaders that cause register spilling and that wasn't/isn't supported. But I think there already is a fix/implementation that hopefully will make it into the ppa soon.
                I did. I can live with worse performance, for example Portal 2 runs pretty smooth with Mesa. The noisy fan bothers me most.

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                I have a 7850, and my little time with 14.4, fglrx was fine with it. I only tried Dota 2 though.

Comment

Working...
                X