Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt3D 2.0 Is A Rewrite Of Qt's 3D Support

Phoronix: Qt3D 2.0 Is A Rewrite Of Qt's 3D Support

Two years ago the Qt3D module was showing lost of promise for 3D support within the popular, cross-platform toolkit. However, just before the Qt 5.0 release, Nokia shutdown their Qt Brisbane office that among other Qt modules was responsible for the work on Qt3D. Nokia's late actions with Qt prior to selling it off to Digia was a a big blow and led to Qt3D being demoted. Fortunately, Qt3D 2.0 is coming along as a maintained, rewritten version of the 3D support for Qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry for my ignorance, but I recently read about Ogre-Qt bindings. Would those be useful in this context?

Comment

A rewrite of the NIH that has no place in a gui toolkit in the first place. Yay.

A 3d engine has no place there, we have quite enough 3d engines (and bloat in Qt) already. And it seems there were Ogre bindings based on the above post, which seems like a slightly more sensible thing than the NIH. But guess which took a lot of work, and is taking space in Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        A rewrite of the NIH that has no place in a gui toolkit in the first place. Yay.

A 3d engine has no place there, we have quite enough 3d engines (and bloat in Qt) already. And it seems there were Ogre bindings based on the above post, which seems like a slightly more sensible thing than the NIH. But guess which took a lot of work, and is taking space in Qt?
        I thought QML handles the effects in Qt becuase "it passes the effects staright to the gpu for processing"... or something like that. Is something wrong with this approach then? This confuses me, can someone explain?

Comment

It does not bloat Qt, because Qt is modular. If you don't want that part, don't take it, and it wont bloat any application. A 3D engine can be very useful sometime, example you want to show a simple 3D model inside your Qt application, it's not a problem anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            I thought QML handles the effects in Qt becuase "it passes the effects staright to the gpu for processing"... or something like that. Is something wrong with this approach then? This confuses me, can someone explain?
            QML passes all the effect straight to the GPU and it works quite well, but it doesn't mean QML supports 3D in it's API

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
              QML passes all the effect straight to the GPU and it works quite well, but it doesn't mean QML supports 3D in it's API
              Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Luckily, Qt isn't a GUI toolkit so it has a place after all.

Qt already has libraries for networking, audio, SQL databases and XML files, a script engine and a Webkit module. I'm using it in my hobby project, which doesn't even have a GUI yet.
                There are plenty of other non-GUI Qt applications - wkhtmltopdf even finds a use for QtWebkit without a GUI!

Comment

QML uses an openGL context for its rendering. Which means you can take that context and reuse it yourself, or you could use multiple contexts.

I see a lot of potential in using QML as a UI engine for a 3d game underneath. It would probably not use Qt3d, but the QML parts could use it to render in game models in windows and such. The presence of Javascript and Python bindings translates very well into a game scripting language too, so you could have JS UI + JS AI, or PyQt all over.

The other plus is a simplified 3d model. Give it a model, give it coords, run it through animations. Maybe add in some context level tweakables for graphics settings like tessellation, AA, shadows, etc. You get a very modular 3d engine that you could either do simple games in easily or build a more complicated engine on top of.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                    Luckily, Qt isn't a GUI toolkit so it has a place after all.

Qt already has libraries for networking, audio, SQL databases and XML files, a script engine and a Webkit module. I'm using it in my hobby project, which doesn't even have a GUI yet.
                    There are plenty of other non-GUI Qt applications - wkhtmltopdf even finds a use for QtWebkit without a GUI!
                    exactly, it's an Application Framework and can basically be put at the same scope as the .NET BCL and it's Addons. You can just use the GUI parts if you really really want to but that just leaves you with QWidgets and QML (Ironically equivalent to WinForms and WPF).

Comment

Working...
                    X