Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Intel Z97 Motherboard

Phoronix: Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Intel Z97 Motherboard

For those looking towards purchasing a new motherboard with an Intel Z97 chipset that's compatible with Haswell Refresh and Broadwell processors, the Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 is a nice option and will set you back just over $100 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by article
    However, on the Gigabyte product page it also lists, "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website." But for Linux users of any modern Linux distributions, you should be in good shape out-of-the-box with a recent kernel release.
    Seriously? AsRock is known to be more linux friendly than Asus, but that statement just blew away their perceived expertise on the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Seriously? AsRock is known to be more linux friendly than Asus, but that statement just blew away their perceived expertise on the OS.
      huh?
      we are talking gigabyte here... no asrock or asus even near this article

Comment

Not sure what you mean?

Motherboards these days are more or less Linux compatible out of the box.(desktop ones)
        Biggest issue so far is Sensors and UEFI.

I didn't have issues with desktop computers for a while now. Thou I am mostly using ASROCK.

Comment

Whoops, too early to reply

Comment

It looks like an ITE IT8620E sensor chip. From lm-sensors team:
            (2014-03-16) One request (Kertesz Laszlo). No datasheet. We had a report that the chip is somewhat compatible with the IT8728F for the hardware monitoring part. Be very careful with fan control as it wasn't tested. So you can try loading the it87 driver with force_id=0x8728 and see how it goes. If you do, please report!

Comment

If you're talking about Gigabyte, that's not really much of an upgrade.

Old - "We don't support Linux. Use Windows."
              New - "We don't support Linux. Most of our stuff should work, but if it doesn't, go complain to someone else."

Comment

I just installed a Z97 board in my system yesterday/today (upgraded from a AM3 board)
                I have tried the 3.13 kernel in xubuntu 14.04 and the 3.16rc4
                CPU temperatures are detectable, no fans or voltage sensors
                and i found one rather annoying issue, I can't wake from suspend using my keyboard/mouse
                no matter i will just use wake-on-lan via a button i can add to my raspberry pi, nope not so easy i have a Atheros Killer E2200 NIC and WOL is disabled in alx driver cause of some bug

Comment

Working...
                X