Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Shader Compiler Cache Proposed, Reduces Game Start Times

Phoronix: Mesa Shader Compiler Cache Proposed, Reduces Game Start Times

Similar to functionality offered by other drivers, Mesa might finally have a shader compiler cache to save compiled GLSL shaders to the disk in an effort to reduce the start-up time for modern Linux games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any use for this outside of games?

Comment

not quite accurate

Originally posted by phoronix
      Tapani P?lli of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center sent out the initial set of 20 patches
      This isn't the initial set, that came out a long time ago. (maybe a year?)

They've been getting quite a bit of pushback from some of the devs, so hopefully this version can finally go in. Notice that some of the patches already have reviewed-by tags.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        KDE and GNOME loading faster?
        As much of a bloated pig as those both are (expecially gnome), I use MATE.
        Though I couldn't imagine anything coming out of a DE being so complex that it would make any measurable difference. Might even make it worse by adding in some disk latency.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          As much of a bloated pig as those both are (expecially gnome), I use MATE.
          Though I couldn't imagine anything coming out of a DE being so complex that it would make any measurable difference. Might even make it worse by adding in some disk latency.
          I've noticed major differences in GDM and Gnome Shell start-up time depending on whether I've built mesa/llvm with debug symbols, asserts, and -O0, as opposed to a release build for my Radeon 7850. I'm hoping that a shader cache will allow me to get quick start-up times for my desktop, while still letting me keep the rest of my development environment intact.

Comment

This shouldn't make much of an impact on Desktop Environments. I can't imagine they would have more complicated stuff than "main() { gl_FragColor = v_color; }".

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              This shouldn't make much of an impact on Desktop Environments. I can't imagine they would have more complicated stuff than "main() { gl_FragColor = v_color; }".
              You underestimate the amount of fancy effects in current DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Isn't Plasma2 going to be using hardware acceleration wherever possible thanks to QtQuick2/QML or something? I wonder what those Qt libs use to do hardware accel...
                But yeah, Gnome/KDE use OpenGL to get hardware acceleration wherever it makes sense, so we could get a speedup of at the very minimum 1-2 seconds for startup. Not much, but slightly noticeable (again, at the very minimum)

Less-fancy DEs shouldn't really be affected by this...

Comment

hm

use a ssd and the de start in sec

Comment

Any improvements on non-Steam, free/libre games? I doubt the graphic driver matters there.

Comment

Working...
                    X