Testing 60+ Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPUs On Linux With Open-Source Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing 60+ Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPUs On Linux With Open-Source Drivers

Phoronix: Testing 60+ Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPUs On Linux With Open-Source Drivers

With Thursday marking the ten year anniversary of launching Phoronix.com and also the six-year anniversary since the public 1.0 debut of the Phoronix Test Suite, there's a lot of interesting articles that I've been working on to celebrate these two milestones. For your viewing pleasure today is easily the largest graphics processor comparison that's ever happened at Phoronix... I've tested over 60 GPUs from the Intel HD Graphics, AMD Radeon, AMD FirePro, and NVIDIA GeForce series to see how their performance is when using the very latest open-source Linux graphics drivers on Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really nice

I can't wait for the patch that enables reclocking for Kepler cards, I really want to see how performant nouveau ends up being then.

Comment

I'm in a weird situation, my Linux gaming rig runs a 6870 due to it being my previous Windows card until I upgraded to a 7970. But the 7970 was running badly in Windows and I was sick of dealing with Catalyst on Windows so swapped it out for a 770 GTX.

That means I have a 7970 sitting around doing nothing, but rather than stick it in my Linux box, it's better for me to leave the 6870 in there. The best card on Linux is a several years old Ati thing that I happened to purchase as a stopgap at the time. Not even brute forcing it with last gens top-of-the line beats it. It astounds me really, I understand about the relative maturity of the software, but it still strikes me as strange.

As an aside, really looking forward to the test farm Michael. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Michael,

The frame time distribution graphs are a nice improvement! That tells a *much* more useful story than average FPS.

-- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
          Michael,

The frame time distribution graphs are a nice improvement! That tells a *much* more useful story than average FPS.

-- Chris
          indeed !

much appreciated

Comment

R7 260X isn't as bad as your results show.

Hi Michael,

First of all, bravo on publishing such a comprehensive benchmarking article. I don't thing anyone, even on the windows side, does this.

I currently have a MSI R7 260X which I bought in January. It was a bumpy ride initially but since the past few months I am really impressed with this GPU. My setup is Ubuntu 14.04 with stock Mesa and an updated kernel. I have seen a bunch of your articles in which your numbers for this card don't seem to match with mine. Here are the results of my furmark running at 1920x1080

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%3A42%3A33.png

As you can see, the results are quiet different. You data shows a total points of 114 while mine is over 500. A difference of a few points is understandable but >4x difference suggests there's something wrong with the test. I have also noticed under separate articles where you have mentioned that this card gets around 10 FPS in Xonotic under high settings while I always seem to get above 40FPS. Ultra crashes though.

Comment

I am impressed

With amount of work Michael has done.

I am still gonna stick to my guns with Nvidia binary drivers and cards, since AMD clearly a bad choice when it comes for Bang for the Buck.
              interesting, non the less!

I'd love to play games on open source GPU, but i don't think it's happening any time soon. May be when Weston will become reality... In a few years.

Comment

nouveau now supports reclocking btw:

Retest please

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  I'm in a weird situation, my Linux gaming rig runs a 6870 due to it being my previous Windows card until I upgraded to a 7970. But the 7970 was running badly in Windows and I was sick of dealing with Catalyst on Windows so swapped it out for a 770 GTX.
                  Same, I got a 7870. Bad idea, it never worked well. So I went back to NVidia since they're a little bit nicer these days, and also got a 770. It is slow on Linux without reclocking, but works rather well. On Windows, it is simply perfect, the overall quality is higher than ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                    With amount of work Michael has done.

I am still gonna stick to my guns with Nvidia binary drivers and cards, since AMD clearly a bad choice when it comes for Bang for the Buck.
                    interesting, non the less!

I'd love to play games on open source GPU, but i don't think it's happening any time soon. May be when Weston will become reality... In a few years.
                    You can't play a game on an open source GPU right now, obviously.

Wayland won't change gaming performance in the slightest, except maybe in windowed mode with compositing. But on recent cards, compositing only has a small negative effect on gaming performance in windowed mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X