Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.16 Handles 64-bit ARM EFI Stub Support

Phoronix: Linux 3.16 Handles 64-bit ARM EFI Stub Support

The latest addition to the Linux 3.16 kernel is EFI stub support for 64-bit ARM (AArch64) hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The latest addition to the Linux 3.16 kernel is EFI stub support for 64-bit ARM (AArch64) hardware...
    In theory, that should be very good progress for AArch64 support (given all the announcement of future SoCs, like AMD's future low-power server CPUs, or the 48-core SoC mentioned the other day).

In practice, I'm not so sure. To me, it seems as the only ARM implementation using UEFI as a firmware are Microsoft tablet, who any way use secureboot, and unlike their x86 bigger siblings, are *required* by the Windows RT license to be locked, so not much use for Linux (i.e.: only x86 can boot Linux using UEFI firmware. ARM hardware is explicitely forbiden too). And most Linux firendly ARM hardware use a much more simplistic firmware (a bare minimalist firmware which launches uBoot which in turn boots the kernel).

Comment

Working...
    X