Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Shows Off An External FreeSync Monitor In Action

Phoronix: AMD Shows Off An External FreeSync Monitor In Action

This week at Computex Taipei, AMD is showing off a FreeSync external display in action as their alternative to NVIDIA's G-Sync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Shows Off An External FreeSync Monitor In Action

This week at Computex Taipei, AMD is showing off a FreeSync external display in action as their alternative to NVIDIA's G-Sync...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxMjQ
    I have a couple of crucial questions. Can low persistence mode work at the same time as freesync and 3D (on high refresh rate monitors)? Why only 40-60Hz? Will there be freesync+gsync monitors available (since I doubt nvidia will implement freesync at this point)? When will freesync/gsync work on linux?

Comment

Adaptive-Sync and G-Sync monitors can also potentially do 3D, but not at the same time with the current hardware on the market. This is because the strobed backlight in variable refresh displays is incompatible with shutter glasses technology.

40-60 Hz refresh rate range is used because that is what the monitor's hardware supports. Keep in mind that it is just a demo using a "normal" monitor with modified firmware. The Adaptive-Sync standard itself includes 36-240Hz, 21-144Hz, 17-120Hz and 9-60Hz refresh rate ranges.

NVidia has full control over the G-Sync hardware in the monitors, and they have not announced plans to support Adaptive-Sync in any way. Without NVidia support, there can be no monitors which work with both technologies.

Comment

LOL - I was like "oh that still tears like hell" ...

until I realized it is actual my setup that does.

radeon + awesome wm without compositor.
        I guess there is technically no way to avoid it with this setup?

Comment

Was that also confirmation at the end of the video that the next gen Pirate Islands cards from AMD will be arriving in the next 6-12 months?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            LOL - I was like "oh that still tears like hell" ...

until I realized it is actual my setup that does.

DRI3 Should help a little...otherwise just run a minimal compositor.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Is it important to you not to use a compositor? If not, compton seems quite featureful while still being pretty light. Also, well documented: https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/vsync-guide

Comment

Thank you both.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                Is it important to you not to use a compositor?
                Nope.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                If not, compton seems quite featureful while still being pretty light. Also, well documented: https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/vsync-guide
                I'll give that one a try.

Thanks again!

Comment

For this to work you will need both a monitor and GPU that support DisplayPort 1.2a, this is the version that makes it part of the core VESA standard. Turns out it has been in the VESA spec for years, but was an optional extension that nobody was using.

Comment

Will it work in windowed/?fake fullscreen? mode in games? I'm sadly not sure at all.

Do games or layers like SDL need specific code to support this?

Comment

Working...
                    X