Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Switches Back To Using GLIBC

Phoronix: Debian Switches Back To Using GLIBC

A half-decade ago the Debian project switched from GLIBC to EGLIBC as their standard C library. Debian is now reverting course and switching back to GLIBC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now we just have to switch back from systemd... to sysv or better: procd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
      I'd rather Debian switched back to ffmpeg from libav...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        I'd rather Debian switched back to ffmpeg from libav...
        +1 tired of broken xbmc packages that were made to compile / use libav and worse user experience

Comment

Wow, yea, Debian has been doing some awesome defaults choices lately. Now the major things left are as mentioned ffmpeg and also CD burners (libburnia is the best bet right now, from the looks of it).

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
            +1 tired of broken xbmc packages that were made to compile / use libav and worse user experience
            There is one uses embeded ffmpeg .

I mean switching to ffmpeg or not, that will not change anything to people who like to use embeded ffmpeg .
            Last edited by dungeon; 19 June 2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              There is one uses embeded ffmpeg .

I mean switching to ffmpeg or not, that will not change anything to people who like to use embeded ffmpeg .
              Jep, it also won't change people that are finished with quality testing after it has compiled succesfully with whatever unsupported version they are currently running. Distro policy > user experience. But it's not only debian - during last 3 days, probably 12 Arch users entered xbmc forum / irc and complained about video playback errors ... exact same issues. Distro packaged and was finished after doing so.

Edit: https://projects.archlinux.org/svnto...=packages/xbmc
              Last edited by fritsch; 19 June 2014, 12:11 PM. Reason: linked to patches

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
                Jep, it also won't change people that are finished with quality testing after it has compiled succesfully with whatever unsupported version they are currently running. Distro policy > user experience. But it's not only debian - during last 3 days, probably 12 Arch users entered xbmc forum / irc and complained about video playback errors ... exact same issues. Distro packaged and was finished after doing so.

Edit: https://projects.archlinux.org/svnto...=packages/xbmc
                Well, at least with Arch there's the AUR, or if you prefer stable... ("Source" link from here
                ) Then there's abs, if you're more familiar with portage or the like.

I know it's less convenient than having working packages ootb, but you can't expect everything to work perfectly all the time on a community maintained OS...unless you're willing to help, that is.

And, fwiw, xbmc is in the community repo, which means it is a package from the AUR that had enough votes to be maintained by a TU.
                Last edited by Nobu; 19 June 2014, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                  I have never heard of procd, so I went to its website to see what benefits it has over other init systems. I have got to say, these people can make a very persuasive argument:

Originally posted by procd website
                  Why do we want procd?

One thing that procd does much better then ?

It boils down to the fact that the current ? are rather constrained and inflexible:

* ?
                  * ?
                  * ?

procd will be able to ? - and of course all that without adding unnecessary bloat. AFAIK there are no alternatives to procd.
                  (Not a troll against procd, as I have no idea what it is or what it stands for, but their website needs an update).
                  Last edited by CTown; 19 June 2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    (Not a troll against procd, as I have no idea what it is or what it stands for, but their website needs an update).
                    Originally posted by procd website
                    "Of course, NetworkManager should be renamed to "unetwork", dbus to "ubus", PulseAudio to "usound", and X.Org-Server/Wayland-Compositor to "udisplay"; and then indescribable happiness would come down to all people of this world."
                    This made me laugh. The quote, of course, out of context (from a message completely unrelated to the procd project itself), but still funny (the first reply, too) and I guess somewhat relavent.

Procd seems to have moved in their source tree from the packages/ dir to packages/system/, for the curious.

Comment

Working...
                    X