Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Wayland Now Supports Minimizing Windows With XDG-Shell Support

Phoronix: Qt Wayland Now Supports Minimizing Windows With XDG-Shell Support

Current versions of Qt5 with Wayland support don't support minimizing/hiding windows. However, patches have now been merged into Qt Wayland for addressing this shortcoming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

240p! long time no see...

Comment

After 6 years of development and heated debates they figured out how to minimize windows, about as productive as the congress.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        After 6 years of development and heated debates they figured out how to minimize windows, about as productive as the congress.
        I think nobody was interested in doing it for the longest time, since it's pretty boring to implement.

Comment

Whenever I see news like this one I wonder if the "year of Linux on the desktop" will ever come. What happened to well-designed software?

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Whenever I see news like this one I wonder if the "year of Linux on the desktop" will ever come. What happened to well-designed software?
            There's a difference between "well designed" and "quickly produced" software. How long does it take Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar company, to release a new version of Windows? And what is the quality of that software?

I'm willing to wait if the results are satisfactory; so far I haven't had much to go by, but what I have seen hasn't disappointed.

Comment

Can you please point out why this is not well designed? I can't see why...

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                I think nobody was interested in doing it for the longest time, since it's pretty boring to implement.
                No its because Weston isn't really the place to put something like that. The idea of "minimize" is very desktop-centric. From the moment XDG-Shell was announced every blog post I read all said that IT would get minimize support since it was meant for Desktop systems.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This is well-designed software. It's just been thought about and discussed for a while (there's no urgency, plenty of other things prevent Wayland from being ready quite yet) rather than cobbling something that 'works' together in a couple of days.

I expect there'll finally be one after systemd and Wayland are finished, so Linux can finally be consistent and secure from the kernel right up to the UI, the next time MS drop the ball. Based on their past history, that looks like being Win10?

Comment

Working...
                  X