Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDevelop 4.7 Beta Comes Packed With New Features

Phoronix: KDevelop 4.7 Beta Comes Packed With New Features

Incorporating months of development time, KDevelop 4.7 is now in beta and comes "packed with new features, lots of bug fixes as well as many performance improvement" for this KDE integrated development environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have to admit never had any sympathy for KDevelop... more so after appearance of QtCreator.
    Even when I had to do some notorious debugging on related fortran project I cried tears and used that atrocity called eclipse.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Have to admit never had any sympathy for KDevelop... more so after appearance of QtCreator.
      Even when I had to do some notorious debugging on related fortran project I cried tears and used that atrocity called eclipse.
      I gave a try to KDevelop one day and I never regretted it. Amazing auto-completion and header/source sync for function signatures is just amazing. Never saw that in any other ide. It has better auto-completion than VS

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
        I gave a try to KDevelop one day and I never regretted it. Amazing auto-completion and header/source sync for function signatures is just amazing. Never saw that in any other ide. It has better auto-completion than VS
        I guess everything is better than VS that rumbles through your sources for a half an hour and then stops working when you include something like boost. Maybe something changed for the better in a half decade but thats it.
        Every feature you listed (+context tooltip) works in QtCreator OOB, completely transparent/no lag.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          KDevPlatform doesn't have a Fortran plugin so there would be neither full autocompletion nor debugging support like C++ has, it'd be barely more useful than Kate.

Why would people spend time badmouthing software they barely know? Easy targets (small userbase) and appearing knowledgable?

IMHO the only con of KDevelop is that unlike QtCreator it's not crossplatform, and I've got segfaults from time to time but this is getting better. But it has an impressive number of features for a Linux-only IDE (best CMake support of all IDE I'm aware of, much better tooltips than QtCreator (see pics for comparison), ...)

KDevelop on the left, QtCreator on the right:

Comment

The quickopen feature in KDevelop is a must have feature.
            Other IDEs have stuff similar to "quickopen" but only for files, or only for open documents, or it doesn't even parse the entire code base. Completely worthless.

Comment

Yup, KDevelop's context-based tooltips/file-opening/renaming/search tools are awesome. Better than anything else I've tried for C++, and one of very few IDEs I've seen that gets any useful information out of PHP at all.

'Less memory' is definitely good - hopefully they've fixed some of the annoying transient minor bugs too - I get popups like:
              "KDevelop has broken somehow.
              Other than this distracting message, nothing of importance actually happened.
              Continue."
              far too often.

Comment

I use Notepad++ with Wine for web development (PHP, SQL, and JS are the major things) and am perfectly comfortable continuing to do so. Would KDevelop help me write better code? For example avoiding using the same function name in two files that aren't necessarily related, but I may want to move a function to a more generally used file, thus causing breakages. I believe this is called static analysis.

I'm rather anal about having clean code, so I write polyglot (X)HTML5 (develop in XHTML mode, use HTML for testing and production so it still works for users), have javascript check the HTML structure (http://pastebin.com/f0NWpJgA improvements welcome... I think I'll finally use GitHub), use JSLint and 'use strict' for new code or when debugging old code, make PHP report any error no matter how small (display when developing) and I review the logs at least every week if not every day (in fact I'm bringing a Raspberry Pi to work so I can have a dedicated display for the error log and possibly some other stuff), and have mysqli (next project will probably use PDO) log any warning/error and exit on error.
                Btw, I'm only 22, I've only been seriously doing web development in the past 2 years, just want to know what I can do better. I'm also thinking about spreading out into C++, just not sure what to build or contribute to yet (learning is best done with projects, I have none yet for C++).

Comment

Working...
                X