Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 340.24 Linux Driver Has G-SYNC Support, FXAA Control

Phoronix: NVIDIA 340.24 Linux Driver Has G-SYNC Support, FXAA Control

Succeeding last month's NVIDIA 340.17 Linux driver beta is now the first official release in the 340.xx driver series for Linux / Solaris / BSD. The NVIDIA 340.24 driver was released this morning with new features but is heavier on the fixing side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Release 340 is the Latest Long Lived Branch also, replacing Release 331.

The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 340.* legacy releases through the end of 2019.

Comment

I know this comment isn't adding much value to the article but anyways ... I do love that photo!

Sorry, but I had to say that :P
      Lockheed

Comment

Optimus

And proper Optimus support, when? The Nvidia card in my system is mostly unused, so I personally couldn't care less about antialiasing.

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
          And proper Optimus support, when? The Nvidia card in my system is mostly unused, so I personally couldn't care less about antialiasing.
          probably when wayland/mir are used instead of X.
          I belive it will be easyer in wayland/mir then X

Comment

Wouldn't it make more sense to ditch the intel graphics and only go for nvidia? If you're not stressing the GPU, how much more power does it really use? Even optimus-compatible GPUs downclock, so I feel like the overall wattage won't make that huge of a difference. I could be wrong though - I've never seen test results involving optimus.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Wouldn't it make more sense to ditch the intel graphics and only go for nvidia? If you're not stressing the GPU, how much more power does it really use? Even optimus-compatible GPUs downclock, so I feel like the overall wattage won't make that huge of a difference. I could be wrong though - I've never seen test results involving optimus.
              Energy usage is way higher when the Nvidia card is in use than when the Intel one is. There is a reason why Optimus is a good idea in laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                probably when wayland/mir are used instead of X.
                I belive it will be easyer in wayland/mir then X
                You are probably right, and that is what I also like to think. Dynamic GPU switching doesn't seem easy in an architecture designed 30 years ago.

Still, it would be nice to see a statement or a roadmap from Nvidia.

Comment

For now steam beta (7 Jul 2014) still working

But character rendering on saint row the third still present

Fixed a floating point exception in the OpenGL driver when running "Risk of Rain" under Wine.
                  very good at now i see amd improve on wine (on this front need heavy work to improve)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 08 July 2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I think that requires the new OpenGL ABI and vendor independend OpenGL dispatch library which is developed by NVIDIA. Otherwise you can't have Intel's OpenGL implementation and NVIDIAs OpenGL implementation installed side by side.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X