Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher 2 Works On Beta Improvements

Phoronix: The Witcher 2 Works On Beta Improvements

Back in May The Witcher 2 was released for Linux but the quality of this Linux game port was extremely bad and problematic for many Linux gamers due to slow performance and other issues. Fortunately, it looks like some of the problems at least may be addressed as a new open beta is beginning for the Linux version of The Witcher 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything not native is a waste of time.

Comment

It's not a waste of time, if native is not an option at all.

On a side note, my favorite Witcher 2 trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=bNAsFBjP_7w

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Bullshit. Let the companies port their games however suits them and stop wining. Three years ago, you hardly had a single AAA game on GNU/Linux, now you have Steam loaded with them. The end result is the most important thing, and you'd have no idea if it's native or not if it works well enough. Personally, I'd like more companies and developers to use open APIs to test them, help improve, or at least force improvements on them. Like OpenGL.

Comment

Any Unity3D game is not native on any platform, because it runs mostly on a virtual machine (C#/Mono). Minecraft is not native because it runs on the JVM. Really, almost all Android apps are not native because of Dalvik.

Nobody should care if a game is "native" or not. All that matters is the bottom line: does it run well? In this case, Witcher 2 does not run well, at all. The problems may be due to its engine, or maybe not. But it seems everyone posting in the forums is an expert and knows exactly what the devs did wrong! Hooray for the forum experts.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            Any Unity3D game is not native on any platform, because it runs mostly on a virtual machine (C#/Mono). Minecraft is not native because it runs on the JVM. Really, almost all Android apps are not native because of Dalvik.

Nobody should care if a game is "native" or not. All that matters is the bottom line: does it run well? In this case, Witcher 2 does not run well, at all. The problems may be due to its engine, or maybe not. But it seems everyone posting in the forums is an expert and knows exactly what the devs did wrong! Hooray for the forum experts.
            Made multi threaded engine, into single threaded one.

That plus normal boatload of bugs, and boatload of driver bugs.

Now they work on multi threading that engine again.

(Yes, gpu commands are created on same core as main game thread. Wine with some patches use separate core)

Comment

Hear hear!

Comment

Seeing this whining about Witcher 2 having poor performance I'm really happy about my hardware (and luck at that). Even though I have HW worse than the requirements, the Witcher 2 plays smoothly on the lowest settings for me ;-). Still, it's nice to see a company taking care of their games long after the usual game lifetime.

Comment

You missing important difference: developers of those games have access to source code of their games.

Virtual porting? guys only have Windows EXEs and can't change anything in game. It's mean every game Windows version patch might send their "improvements" to the stone age.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                    What exactly is not native about The Witcher 2? I'm pretty sure the game is compiled to native linux ELF binaries.

Comment

Working...
                    X