Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWRT 14.07 RC1 Brings Native IPv6 Support, New Init System

Phoronix: OpenWRT 14.07 RC1 Brings Native IPv6 Support, New Init System

The first release candidate to OpenWRT "Barrier Breaker" 14.07 is now available with a large number of changes to this popular embedded Linux distribution primarily for routers and other network devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes! I've been waiting for a new OpenWRT release. I'll make sure to check it next weekend

Comment

IPv6 now?

Native IPv6 support now?

Shouldn't this have been made years ago? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Native IPv6 support now?

Shouldn't this have been made years ago? Really?
        OpenWrt 12.09 user here. IPv6 was already available (I've been using it for awhile now), but you had to manually install and configure the whole stack. Not hard, if you know your way around OpenWrt and IPv6. I think the difference now is that IPv6 comes enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          OpenWrt 12.09 user here. IPv6 was already available (I've been using it for awhile now), but you had to manually install and configure the whole stack. Not hard, if you know your way around OpenWrt and IPv6. I think the difference now is that IPv6 comes enabled by default.
          You shouldn't have to manually install it and manually configure it.

It is a shame they only got IPv6 now.
          They should have gotten full automatic IPv6 by default enabled year ago.

No wonder IPv6 adoption is so low.
          I know some vendors do as little as they can to get by, and rather postpone it later so they can sell more units later.
          But OpenWRT ought to be a pioneer here.

Comment

How did you help us? Did you provide any patches? Did you donate anyone working on IPv6?

Comment

No wonder IPv6 adoption is so low.
              I know some vendors do as little as they can to get by, and rather postpone it later so they can sell more units later.
              But OpenWRT ought to be a pioneer here.
              This would be a nice speech, if OpenWRT sold routers. In actuallity, you buy a router (which may or may not support IPv6), and install OpenWRT on it if you want. Then, if you want IPv6 support (until now) you would install and enable it. Now you don't need to do that, but it doesn't change the fact that you still need to install OpenWRT to your router.

(except in the case that some vendor preinstalls OpenWRT on their routers, but that's a definite exception, I'm sure)

Comment

native IPv6 support
                It's about time!

Comment

Couldn't it run systemd, too?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: OpenWRT 14.07 RC1 Brings Native IPv6 Support, New Init System

The first release candidate to OpenWRT "Barrier Breaker" 14.07 is now available with a large number of changes to this popular embedded Linux distribution primarily for routers and other network devices...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0MTc
                    sweet, time to move away from attitude adjustment on my buffalo router! congrats!

Comment

Working...
                    X