Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

Phoronix: Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

While Spotify was a major Debian user with running their thousands of back-end servers on the major Linux distribution, including being vocal about systemd on Debian, they have decided to switch over to Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whatever, if they want to get bit in the *** by Ubuntu it's their choice, but they could finally put out a repo for other distros than Debian with their client app. It's a PITA to manually convert the debs to rpm with every new version ;-P.

Comment

Debian based distros could fund the Debian project. Spotify should too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Whatever, if they want to get bit in the *** by Ubuntu it's their choice, but they could finally put out a repo for other distros than Debian with their client app. It's a PITA to manually convert the debs to rpm with every new version ;-P.
        In that case you might want to check out https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make

Comment

Well, Debian doesn't clearly communicate how they want to go about LTS releases, so this is easy to understand from Spotify's point of view.

Comment

That was a dumb move... If you want predictable long-term support, the only thing you should be looking at is Red Hat (or its derivatives, if you don't need support, but I bet Spotify could use some).

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
              In that case you might want to check out https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make
              All converter scripts for Spotify that I tried are useless, cause they have hardcoded version numbers (sic!) + Spotify removes old versions from their repository. Additionally a problem recently came up because Spotify started adding "-1" to their deb version string, which is illegal in rpm, and the scripts fail at that ;-P. Now... even if a particular script works ok, then this still doesn't take care of automatically updating to a new version, without manually running it again. So I'll stick with 'alien -rc' and symlinking libs, this is at least full proof (hell, I could even write my own script that does that :-) ).

Comment

What?!? A company doing what is best for it's business? How dare they not do what I emotionally feel is the correct answer!1! I, a random person on the internet, know better than THEM about their business model!!! They must be in conspiracy with microsoft and the devil! [/crazyperson]
                Last edited by dh04000; 16 July 2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  All converter scripts for Spotify that I tried are useless, cause they have hardcoded version numbers (sic!) + Spotify removes old versions from their repository. Additionally a problem recently came up because Spotify started adding "-1" to their deb version string, which is illegal in rpm, and the scripts fail at that ;-P. Now... even if a particular script works ok, then this still doesn't take care of automatically updating to a new version, without manually running it again. So I'll stick with 'alien -rc' and symlinking libs, this is at least full proof (hell, I could even write my own script that does that :-) ).
                  Well, I am terribly sorry that I tried to help you. :P

For me, spotify-make has worked really well, except that the authors obviously have to make some changes when spotify releases a new version. Mostly due to library version mismatches, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    That was a dumb move... If you want predictable long-term support, the only thing you should be looking at is Red Hat (or its derivatives, if you don't need support, but I bet Spotify could use some).
                    Based on?
                    When, ever, have Canonical failed to provide the support they promise?

Comment

Working...
                    X