Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Starts Working Towards Its Alpha Release

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Starts Working Towards Its Alpha Release

In aiming towards an on-time release of Fedora 21, developers have spun the first test candidate for the upcoming development release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AFAIK there is no TC1 images, unless you use the boot.iso, however there is a tc1 for Server there images. you might wanna correct the News item Michael

Comment

Meanwhile some are wondering what's the difference between a Fedora alpha and final release.
      Btw the other day Fedora 20 broke after applying updates. Kudos to the geniuses at Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Meanwhile some are wondering what's the difference between a Fedora alpha and final release.
        Btw the other day Fedora 20 broke after applying updates. Kudos to the geniuses at Fedora.
        how did it break? if you want a stable Distro, use CentOS or RHEL

Comment

The geniuses at Red Hat apparently don't care that it'll fail to boot if the new kernel is installed without the updated a/k/mod nvidia blob. Fedora is full of buzzwords and new stuff, except common sense.

Comment

The geniuses at Red Hat apparently don't care that it'll fail to boot if the new kernel is installed without the updated a/k/mod nvidia blob. Fedora is full of buzzwords and new stuff, except common sense.
            They don't provide the blob, and as testing here has shown, Nouveau isn't quite up to taking over the mantle. What I've done to mitigate this (still doesn't always work) is to stop using RPMFusion for the NVidia drivers and to use the direct binaries from NVidia. If you have the dkms package installed from Fedora, and then run the installer with the flag --dkms (ex. sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-337.19.run --dkms) then it will install with DKMS support which rebuilds the modules as much as it is capable.

This will of course still fail if a kernel or X API incompatibility happens, but I've found it better than the alternative of hoping my kmod packages match whatever kernel I happen to update to.

Comment

Well Nvidia blob is not part of the package they maintain, Fedora only maintain free software in its repos.

Originally posted by Min1123 View Post
              They don't provide the blob, and as testing here has shown, Nouveau isn't quite up to taking over the mantle. What I've done to mitigate this (still doesn't always work) is to stop using RPMFusion for the NVidia drivers and to use the direct binaries from NVidia. If you have the dkms package installed from Fedora, and then run the installer with the flag --dkms (ex. sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-337.19.run --dkms) then it will install with DKMS support which rebuilds the modules as much as it is capable.

This will of course still fail if a kernel or X API incompatibility happens, but I've found it better than the alternative of hoping my kmod packages match whatever kernel I happen to update to.
              Kudo for the tip. =)
              Last edited by iniudan; 18 July 2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Min1123 View Post
                Well, the better alternative is to use akmods from RPM Fusion as opposed to kmods.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  Well, the better alternative is to use akmods from RPM Fusion as opposed to kmods.

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/zcat/akmods
                  Thank, nice to know know that package is there.

Comment

Meanwhile, updating my fedora 20 installation..

Comment

Working...
                    X