Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau vs. Radeon vs. Intel Tests On Linux 3.16, Mesa 10.3-devel

Phoronix: Nouveau vs. Radeon vs. Intel Tests On Linux 3.16, Mesa 10.3-devel

As the second part of our Linux graphics testing this week after a Radeon R600/RadeonSI performance update with the Linux 3.16 kernel and Mesa 10.3-devel are some comparative numbers that include Intel's Haswell HD Graphics and various NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards on the Nouveau driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, those benchmarks for the GTX 680 isn't bad compared to a few months ago. I couldn't even run basic things let alone play a potentially graphical game. Although, I don't plan on giving up the nvidia binary unfortunately... the difference is just too great, especially for how many games I've been playing lately (which is also nice).

I wonder if I could contribute somehow...

Comment

Great work on the Nouveau drivers

Interesting to see how nvidia+nouveau has surpassed the performance of intel graphics - In the past I always used nvidia+binary blob for gaming, but more recently I've been using straight intel video, and gaming (q3a, openarena, nexuix) just works, but I'll definitely have to dust off my old nvidia cards in light of these new developments.
      Last edited by david_lynch; 25 July 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Fuck, the 760 on Nouveau actually looks like an almost sound choice now. Albeit, the 270x is like $200, the 760 is like $250, so it still wins - but the gap certainly has narrowed.

I have to wonder, though - if these results are Nouveau without the highest state reclocks, wouldn't that mean they will crush all the AMD parts at their highest power states? How the hell is a community + Red Hat driver with no support and only reverse engineering even competing with a driver sponsored by AMD with comprehensive documentation?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Fuck, the 760 on Nouveau actually looks like an almost sound choice now. Albeit, the 270x is like $200, the 760 is like $250, so it still wins - but the gap certainly has narrowed.

I have to wonder, though - if these results are Nouveau without the highest state reclocks, wouldn't that mean they will crush all the AMD parts at their highest power states? How the hell is a community + Red Hat driver with no support and only reverse engineering even competing with a driver sponsored by AMD with comprehensive documentation?
          It's 2 gen old AMD kit, no CGN hardware is used in this test. Also note that only very recent Nvidia kit works, the older stuff is still extremely slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            It's 2 gen old AMD kit, no CGN hardware is used in this test. Also note that only very recent Nvidia kit works, the older stuff is still extremely slow.
            760 -> rebranded 670 with an upgraded memory controller and upped clocks
            270x -> rebranded 7870 with upped clocks

They are all two gen old. According to that recent post, Hawaii just started working (which would be AMD current gen) and I don't know if Michael has anything in the gk110 line. Though I guess that means its all one gen old, because anything that isn't very recent is just rebranded. IE, 260x / 750 ti are current gen, along with the high end, and everything else is last gen rebrands.

Comment

Unvanquished on Nouveau with the Kepler GPUs does better than the AMD GPUs using the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver except for the oddly fast performance out of the R7 260X.
              That means only GCN 1.0 hardware struggle in Unvanquished, but not GCN 1.1 . Interesting, but i guess it just a bug somewhere.

To avoid confusion about naming, from agd5f

Southern Islands GPUs (GCN 1.0):
              Tahiti (7xxx, R9 280), Pitcairn (7xxx, R9 270), Cape Verde (7xxx, R7 250), Oland (8xxx, R7 240), Hainan

Sea Islands GPUs (GCN 1.1):
              Bonaire (7790, R7 260), Hawaii (R9 290), Kabini, Mullins, Kaveri
              Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

I prefer free vs proprietary drivers than this benchmarks. I care more about how the free drivers are compared to the proprietary drivers.
                Or to compare mesa 10.2 with mesa 10.3 to see how much difference are between those two.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  760 -> rebranded 670 with an upgraded memory controller and upped clocks
                  270x -> rebranded 7870 with upped clocks

They are all two gen old. According to that recent post, Hawaii just started working (which would be AMD current gen) and I don't know if Michael has anything in the gk110 line. Though I guess that means its all one gen old, because anything that isn't very recent is just rebranded. IE, 260x / 750 ti are current gen, along with the high end, and everything else is last gen rebrands.
                  A 760 has slightly less units than a 670, it's 5 % slower, which makes it as fast as an HD 7950 or a R9 280.

Comment

Working...
                  X