Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tournament Looks Great For Team Deathmatch

Phoronix: Unreal Tournament Looks Great For Team Deathmatch

Another day, another exciting video for the new Unreal Tournament gets released by Epic Games, with Linux gamers viewing in excitement as it's been years since an Unreal release for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another arena FPS! Sucks!
    …but it's Unreal.

This demo reminds me of Tesseract, but with slower weapons.

This video however shows that proprietary game engines aren't all “pink glasses” around and that there are people who work (and are paid for it), which is why they quickly come to results on the games they develop.
    Last edited by Calinou; 30 July 2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      ?but it's Unreal.
      This demo reminds me of Tesseract, but with slower weapons.
      This video however shows that proprietary game engines aren't all ?pink glasses? around and that there are people who work (and are paid for it), which is why they quickly come to results on the games they develop.
      I agree, that's what I thought as well, but Warzow. We haven't seen the polished product yet, but it feels like they're just remaking an FPS from 2002. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        I agree, that's what I thought as well, but Warzow. We haven't seen the polished product yet, but it feels like they're just remaking an FPS from 2002. Again.
        I've played almost every game in the Unreal Series, even UT3 for a month or so. Unfortunately, UT3 felt like a series killer. But UT2004 and UT99 still has a consistent player base. You can still find servers with players in it in Unreal Gold multiplayer.

The point is, the ideas Unreal uses are still enjoyable. Making a rehash using the same concepts except better in all aspects is really not that bad of an idea.

By the way, there's actually a split in the community. There are people who hate UT99 and love UT2004 and vice versa, just because of the double jumping/wall jumping style, and use of the piston. UT3, to a lot of people, felt like a bad rehash of UT99, except lacking modularity and *super* heavy on the computer hardware. Given that this game is open-source and the possibilities are endless, I can see this particular part of the series being the end, simply because there is nothing else the community could want (until new technology comes out).

Comment

Just like Doom 3

Doomed. Anybody want something that is actually "new" or "different"?

Add a portal gun... and let it be used on others...

Even then... somewhat boring....

But if Doom 3 was awesome to you... you'll probably like this title as well.

Personally, I still play UT2004.. just not seeing much difference so far.....

Comment

even the maps from the original "Unreal Tournament" where there

<3

Me gusta !

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              Given that this game is open-source
              Sorry, but restricting commercial use is not considered “open source”, generally. It's not even close to free/libre software.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Sorry, but restricting commercial use is not considered “open source”, generally. It's not even close to free/libre software.
                That was a bad term. It is pretty cheap to gain access to the source. The fact that the source is available at all is what I was referring to as being awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X