Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers & Drama Dominated Linux Talk In July

Phoronix: Drivers & Drama Dominated Linux Talk In July

With the end of July comes our monthly recap about the most popular events and tests that took place on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The moaning agains ad blocking

Dear Micheal,

I appreciate that it may infuriate you that some people are stealing your work, but speaking for myself: I have a subscription, to support this website and you, but I always browse the website with adblock as it is ridiculous how quickly I have to log in again (or at least go to the forum) before I can browse the website without ads.

Am I doing anything wrong? If it's by design, expect many of your subscribers to do the same.

Best regards,
    Fran?ois.

Comment

I try to browse phoronix without adblock from times to times but it's really hard, when it's not obnoxious JS overlays that hide half the screen, its awful flash animations slowing down my shitty laptop to the point that I can barely scroll.

That said you're doing a really great job, and I'd gladly give you my money.

Maybe if you need more suscribers that badly you could paywall (ugh) a couple of longer articles / months a la LWN. I'm sure it'd send a clear message.

glws I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
        I appreciate that it may infuriate you that some people are stealing your work, but speaking for myself: I have a subscription, to support this website and you, but I always browse the website with adblock as it is ridiculous how quickly I have to log in again (or at least go to the forum) before I can browse the website without ads.

Am I doing anything wrong? If it's by design, expect many of your subscribers to do the same.
        I have the same problem. Every bloody day I have to log back in. And the ads are really obnoxious, so no wonder people are using adblock.

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
          I appreciate that it may infuriate you that some people are stealing your work,
          Viewing the website without ads isn't stealing, it doesn't consume the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            Viewing the website without ads isn't stealing, it doesn't consume the work.
            That was sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkj View Post
              Maybe if you need more suscribers that badly you could paywall (ugh) a couple of longer articles / months a la LWN. I'm sure it'd send a clear message.
              It would be the death of the site, just like every other paywalled site.

Steamboxes = a ton more Linux hardware review sites popping up, mostly on the existing Windows sites, which results in a total irrelevance of Phoronix. Before you start, PTS offers very little to the review sites, they're already going to have Geekbench, Unigine* and the like, and if they start doing these reviews it wont be long before you the other canned *Mark benches to show up.

Comment

Working...
              X