Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC Is Being Renamed To "Kodi"

Phoronix: XBMC Is Being Renamed To "Kodi"

The XBMC project has shared with us that they're renaming the project entirely to something very different in order to no longer reflect its past Xbox Media Center name...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember running this on a soft-modded original Xbox. It made sense then. That was over 6 years ago and even then it was outdated. I'm more confused as to why the name stuck rather than changing it *way* earlier.

Comment

I wonder what Kodi means, after so many years of using the same name this is going to impact the project a bit and create confusion yet again.

Comment

Who decides these things? If they aren't going to consult an agency (and they obviously haven't), have they at least made some contest for users to vote on names?

Silly move.

Comment

I like the name and not everything needs to be decided in a bloody committee meeting. Very sensible if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            I remember running this on a soft-modded original Xbox. It made sense then. That was over 6 years ago and even then it was outdated. I'm more confused as to why the name stuck rather than changing it *way* earlier.
            I remember the XBMP/YAMP days, before they merged into XBMC. That was over 10 years ago, they haven't even released an xbox version for over 5 years now. I agree, it's long past time to change the name.

Comment

This will be tough for me to relearn, but I understand their reasons. I just don't like the new name that much.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                I like the name and not everything needs to be decided in a bloody committee meeting. Very sensible if you ask me.
                Agree on the no need for a committee meeting, but Kodi sounds either like a pet name, or a hippy earth-child name.

Neither is something I associate with multimedia software. 'Kodi' is going to be a tough sell. "The Software Formerly Known As XBMC"

Comment

Kodi is definitely an odd choice.

Sounds really childish or limp-wristed or something. Was Snuggle Bunny the runner-up candidate?

Comment

I know KDE doesn't have a monopoly on the letter K, but I don't think I'd name my project starting with K.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Sounds really childish or limp-wristed or something.
                    *Rolls eyes*
                    Then Read it as Koh-dye. Is that manly and/or heterosexual enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X