Steam Survey Results For July 2014 Show A Slight Drop In Linux Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Survey Results For July 2014 Show A Slight Drop In Linux Usage

Phoronix: Steam Survey Results For July 2014 Show A Slight Drop In Linux Usage

With the start of a new month comes updates to Steam's hardware/software survey by those running this multi-platform gaming software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Expected

Expected I guess, many important titles still ain't ported and no gaming harware is out, specially the controller. I myself switched to wine since Skyrim ain't available in native form

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
      Expected I guess, many important titles still ain't ported and no gaming harware is out, specially the controller. I myself switched to wine since Skyrim ain't available in native form
      it's really said to see over 50% of the Steam For Linux users are using Wine

Comment

Michael, are you aware that Steam is gaining new users everyday? 1% today may be like 700,000, but 1% tomorrow could be 800,000 (this is just an example). Percentage of Linux users doesn't represent the real number of Linux users if you do not consider the relation to X (amount, not %) of Steam users overall.

Comment

Adding on that that some people probably stopped using it after it started to crash computer and not work.

You need to delete all copy of files libgcc and libstdc from the steam binaries if you use OSS drivers. Failure to do that eater tell you that you don't have hardware acceleration or it simply crash the whole comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/members
            It's because they are idiots that are hurting Linux gaming. http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...-on-linux.3934

If it's not native and never going to be native just pirate it, anything else just tells them they can produce the games for Windows and nothing else because you'll just buy it and shift all support to the community because you're using Wine.

Comment

I don't know what anyone expects to change. Everyone using Steam on Windows right now has no reason to go through learning how to reformat their OS, even when Linux has the same games available. If they cared about freedom, they would already be on Linux. There might be a few people building new computers and installing Linux over Windows, but they would be few in a crowd of an already tiny fraction of the Steam userbase.

Until Steamboxes, or any general case Linux computer is available for consumers in stores, the numbers won't change much. Games on Linux solve one of the major reasons people would say "I want to, but I need X", but nothing is going to drive people to say "time to switch" compared to "it already installed / the default".

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
                http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/members
                How you figure they're using Wine?

I'm a member of that group and I don't use Wine, I just exclusively play in Windows.

Comment

Steam still under report OpenGL.

For me its 3.0.. (-> Compatibility Profile), while it should be 3.3 Core Profile.

Its crazy. Those stats are often given devs along bug reports (like for Witcher), and they miss that info.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    How you figure they're using Wine?

I'm a member of that group and I don't use Wine, I just exclusively play in Windows.
                    Go through the online member list for SteamLUG, the largest and most active group of Linux gamers http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamlug#members and note how many of them are playing games that are not ported in any way to Linux and never will be.

Even in a group like We Only Buy Linux Games there are members that are playing games that are not available at all on Linux http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Onl...xGames#members

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I don't know what anyone expects to change. Everyone using Steam on Windows right now has no reason to go through learning how to reformat their OS, even when Linux has the same games available. If they cared about freedom, they would already be on Linux. There might be a few people building new computers and installing Linux over Windows, but they would be few in a crowd of an already tiny fraction of the Steam userbase.

Until Steamboxes, or any general case Linux computer is available for consumers in stores, the numbers won't change much. Games on Linux solve one of the major reasons people would say "I want to, but I need X", but nothing is going to drive people to say "time to switch" compared to "it already installed / the default".
                    Don't be naive, buying these games sends a message to game companies that they only have to produce a Windows version of their game and people will still buy it even if they don't even attempt a half assed port like the eON/Wine port of Witcher2.

If you don't believe me, just go on any Mac user forum and ask them how much they love all of those Cider and Wine based ports they have received over the years. Fun fact, they despise them just as much as we do, yet there are those in their community that still buy the Windows games and run Steam in Wine/WineBottler to play them.

The same terms outlined here http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...-on-linux.3934 apply to Mac game ports as well, the porters get nothing if you bought the game before it was released for your OS of choice and even then, if you launch the game in the Windows client in Wine the porters still get all of $0 as the client counts it as a Windows purchase.

Gaming on Linux is still in it's infancy and the whole thing could easily fall apart if we continue to play unported games, history teaches us this, just look at all of the times past efforts where thwarted because the after the Windows launch port was made everyone just bought the Windows version in the bargain bin and patched it making the port a revenue loss. Now between Steam, Desura, GOG, Humble etc all Linux games are available in the bargain bin right next to the Windows games, so please, don't fuck this up again.

Comment

Working...
                    X