Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Will Likely Ship With The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Likely Ship With The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Josh Boyer of the Fedora kernel team spoke today at the Flock conference in Prague...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMO Fedora 21 more than likely will not ship to mid December considering that there is still NO TC's out there an there still having problems building nightly composes, going from what AdamW said i think Brian Lane an Dennis Gilmore tend to think they are close to fixing the problem .

Comment

lol what a NULL news.

Yes for other distros its important what kenrel version they ship, because most dont update them to a new major version.

But fedora they ship whats out till that day and they will updates very shortly after the next kernel gets released. So dont know how long do they wait but in a few days 3.16 will come to stable f20, could install it from rawhide or 21 now too if I needed it, but 3.16 is extremly boring in my opinion so dont care to much.

Comment

???

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        lol what a NULL news.

Yes for other distros its important what kenrel version they ship, because most dont update them to a new major version.

But fedora they ship whats out till that day and they will updates very shortly after the next kernel gets released. So dont know how long do they wait but in a few days 3.16 will come to stable f20, could install it from rawhide or 21 now too if I needed it, but 3.16 is extremly boring in my opinion so dont care to much.

you have mainline kernel in ubuntu kernel mainline for install if you want

Comment

my guess the 3.16 kernel will be a LongTerm Kernel so my guess is that Fedora21 will only use LongTerm kernels, which would mean Fedora21 an beyond will only have " stable " stuff in it unlike previous releases where they were released with half baked packages .

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            you have mainline kernel in ubuntu kernel mainline for install if you want
            I know but thats something different getting a automatic update and fiddle something in that at least 95% of the users dont will do is something different. So for ubuntu users its more important which version ubuntu comes with than for EVERY fedora user.

Comment

lol what a NULL news.

You are *very* short sighted. Any issues concerning the install image kernel are complete show-stoppers.

E.g. I've just finished installing F20 on a number of high-end servers based on Xeon E5-46xx V2 CPUs which failed miserably.
              It seems the fixes concerning this particular CPU (and chipset) have been added long after the F20 3.11 kernel was released, making it impossible to get the install image to boot.
              Trying to install F20 by hand from a F20-on-USB I have, also failed due to a very complex UEFI + GPT setup used by the server.

In the end, I created a special installation CD with a recent kernel, and installed from that. Luckily for me, Anaconda didn't go up in flames when used in conjunction with a non-standard kernel.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                my guess the 3.16 kernel will be a LongTerm Kernel so my guess is that Fedora21 will only use LongTerm kernels, which would mean Fedora21 an beyond will only have " stable " stuff in it unlike previous releases where they were released with half baked packages .
                What makes you think Fedora is about to become a long term distro?
                Fedora is, and will remain a bleeding edge distro. (If you want to an RPM based distro w/ long term support get CentOS or RHEL).
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  You are *very* short sighted. Any issues concerning the install image kernel are complete show-stoppers.
                  did u hear from network installer they install only directly the new packages. And that a system will not boot that installer but one with a slightly newer kernel is a marginal problem, of course not for the person who has that, but becuase it only ever 10.000 user.

Of course u find always the corner case where everything matters, it might even matter for something when a bag of rice falls over in china, but that makes that not a press story.

Comment

did u hear from network installer they install only directly the new packages. And that a system will not boot that installer but one with a slightly newer kernel is a marginal problem, of course not for the person who has that, but becuase it only ever 10.000 user.
                    The network installer uses the same kernel and (more-or-less) the same initrd image as the normal installer.
                    The fact that you can have the installer install updated packages (instead of the DVD ones) during the installation is irrelevant - the installer - be that network installer, LiveCD or DVD, must successfully boot first!

Of course u find always the corner case where everything matters, it might even matter for something when a bag of rice falls over in china, but that makes that not a press story.
                    You are not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.
                    Had you taken the time to read what I wrote instead of trying to be funny, you'd notice that what I wrote means more or less the following:

"" The installer kernel version, must like the installer itself, is *very* important as it can completely prevent any installation attempt and cannot be easily replaced "".

BTW, This is the reason the Fedora QA team invests so much time testing the install image.

- Gilboa

Comment

Working...
                    X