Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoppix 7.4 Plays With Systemd & Compiz

Phoronix: Knoppix 7.4 Plays With Systemd & Compiz

Knoppix, one of the longest standing Live CD/DVD/USB Linux distributions based off Debian, is out with a new update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"While upstream Debian is still working towards systemd support, ..."

systemd is in Debian Jessie (aka Testing) for a while now and working flawlessly. The change went rather quickly and without any problems. It was delivered as a package update and replaced sysvinit.

It is working great. Boot times are much faster than before. In my case did it change from 13s down to 5s for a full boot including starting Xfce.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      "While upstream Debian is still working towards systemd support, ..."

systemd is in Debian Jessie (aka Testing) for a while now and working flawlessly. The change went rather quickly and without any problems. It was delivered as a package update and replaced sysvinit.

It is working great. Boot times are much faster than before. In my case did it change from 13s down to 5s for a full boot including starting Xfce.
      Thanks for the update. I hadn't realized that. Cool.

I'm surprised but pleased that Knoppix is still alive and kicking. The problem is that I think it makes the most sense to become comfortable with a version of Linux you use both as a boot disk and also as a standard install. Otherwise you have to work with two versions and deal with the headache of remembering their slight differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        Thanks for the update. I hadn't realized that. Cool.

I'm surprised but pleased that Knoppix is still alive and kicking. The problem is that I think it makes the most sense to become comfortable with a version of Linux you use both as a boot disk and also as a standard install. Otherwise you have to work with two versions and deal with the headache of remembering their slight differences.
        My first Unix was SunOS 4. When Sun Microsystems switched to SunOS 5 (aka Solaris 2) was my first year with Unix full of differences, because SunOS 4 was derived from BSD while SunOS 5 was based on SVR4. So I learned quickly that a good operating system comes with changes. For me it is now two decades of "slight differences".

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          My first Unix was SunOS 4. When Sun Microsystems switched to SunOS 5 (aka Solaris 2) was my first year with Unix full of differences, because SunOS 4 was derived from BSD while SunOS 5 was based on SVR4. So I learned quickly that a good operating system comes with changes. For me it is now two decades of "slight differences".
          I don't mind jumping around so much, it's fun for me. At home I'm running Ubuntu and Fedora, and for a while I ran Void (a niche distribution with its own package management system). No big deal. But when I think Linux is an appropriate solution to someone's operating system headaches, I prefer to focus on something that will solve most of their problems and not require them to learn more than what they need to get started. Everyone's met the person that tried to switch to Linux, ran into a dozen headaches, and gave up.

Comment

I don't fully understand the reason behind Knoppix anymore. It was once practical when it served as a demo of linux's capabilities and was one of the only live CDs at the time (wasn't it actually the first?). But today it's basically just another sub-distro that doesn't have much to offer.

If Knoppix became the main wayland testing ground (instead of rebecca black OS) then I think that'd breathe new life and purpose into the distro, but today I just find it pointless. But on that note, I think 95% of all distros, including BSD and Solaris variants, are completely pointless and add fragmentation to the open source community - something that really needs to stop.

Comment

I used to use Knoppix heavily around 2004-2005, but basically stopped using it when Fedora started shipping competitive live images.

A distro ahead of its time that has now fallen behind, sadly.

Comment

Working...
              X