Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.4 Is Now Under A Feature Freeze

Phoronix: Qt 5.4 Is Now Under A Feature Freeze

Iikka Eklund of Digia has announced that Qt 5.4 is under its feature freeze state after several months of development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt 5 still has broken font rendering under Linux, after all this time. And nobody at Qt cares.

After Digia got hold of it, Linux support isn't very important anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Qt 5 still has broken font rendering under Linux, after all this time. And nobody at Qt cares.

After Digia got hold of it, Linux support isn't very important anymore.
      I use Qt5 on linux every day, and have not had any issues with font rendering. I run into a few on Qt4, but those are only triggered by some broken webfonts loaded by qtwebkit.

Btw, if anything Linux support still has a way better support than it should have considering the paying customers are mostly on Windows, but almost all Qt developers at Digia use Linux as their development platform, and with QtCreator now using Qt5, that means most Qt developers are now using Qt5 on Linux every day.
      Last edited by carewolf; 10 August 2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I too frequently use and develop with Qt5 and I don't get font rendering issues. But, I also don't do anything that special with them.

Comment

All fonts are broken. Both TrueType and OpenType:

as well as PCF:

To get TT/OT breakage, I suspect that you need to be using slight hinting instead of full hinting.

Comment

To get TT/OT breakage, I suspect that you need to be using slight hinting instead of full hinting.
            Yes, and that's what you were told in the bug report: slight hinting only will hint vertical which is not intended for GUI. Just enable full hinting will most likely fix your issue.

Comment

QT3D?

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                Yes, and that's what you were told in the bug report: slight hinting only will hint vertical which is not intended for GUI. Just enable full hinting will most likely fix your issue.
                Slight an no-hinting should work. It is Mac style hinting and a lot of people use it, it is also used when rendering to scalable canvases such as OpenGL. Then again I am using that, and have not seen any issue before, so saying it is completely broken for truetype and opentype is nonsense. Though ofcourse it is more blurry, that is the whole point, with weaker hinting fonts are more design precise and less pixel precise.
                Last edited by carewolf; 10 August 2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                  I don't want full hinting. Fonts look bad with it. Qt 5 is broken. Freetype renders slight hinted fonts just fine, and therefore Qt 5 should also render them fine. Since it doesn't, there's somethings wrong with how it uses Freetype.

Every other app on my system works correctly. Qt 4, Gtk, Chrome, everyhing. Except Qt 5 and Java. Those two produce an abomination of a font rendering.

And this doesn't even excuse the PCF rendering problem, which was reported since day one when Qt 5.0.0 came out. Wanna bet how quickly they would have fixed those problems if they affected the Windows version? We all hated Nokia, but boy, Digia doesn't lift a finger when it comes to Linux.
                  Last edited by RealNC; 10 August 2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

We all hated Nokia, but boy, Digia doesn't lift a finger when it comes to Linux.
                    That must be why they waited so long to support Wayland in Qt 5. Oh wait...

Comment

Working...
                    X