Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunt Rally 2.4 Brings New Open-Source Racing Fun

Phoronix: Stunt Rally 2.4 Brings New Open-Source Racing Fun

A new release of Stunt Rally is out, an open-source racing game powered by VDrift with Bullet physics and uses OGRE for rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    "Interesting Linux gamers can find more Stunt Rally details..."
    D'oh! I hate being a boring Linux gamer...

Comment

That's a lot of freaking tracks...
      wow

Comment

I tried it a bit and let's be honest: There isn't really an open source "arcade" racing game with fun driving physics. Sorry, but in my opinion even super mario kart released in 1992 for a really ressource constrained systems has more fun driving physics than supertuxkart...

Here in stuntrally with a keyboard I don't seem to be able to make sharp turns in any way. Everything feels extremely "slippery" and the way you just "slide" left and right on the street instead of making turns just looks and feels unnatural. And every time you hit or touch a wall, something really weird happens.

Until driving feels at least as good as with Need for Speed III from 2002 I don't really see me playing many of these games.

The closest to fun driving physics I have actually seen in open source games is trigger rally, even if everything is way too "slippery" again. But then it's kinda ruined by how easily your car flips over...

I'm not saying these games are bad. stuntrally has great tracks, relatively pretty graphics, good cars, it just doesn't feel fun to me because of the driving physics that don't feel fitting for this game at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          I tried it a bit and let's be honest: There isn't really an open source "arcade" racing game with fun driving physics. Sorry, but in my opinion even super mario kart released in 1992 for a really ressource constrained systems has more fun driving physics than supertuxkart...

Here in stuntrally with a keyboard I don't seem to be able to make sharp turns in any way. Everything feels extremely "slippery" and the way you just "slide" left and right on the street instead of making turns just looks and feels unnatural. And every time you hit or touch a wall, something really weird happens.

Until driving feels at least as good as with Need for Speed III from 2002 I don't really see me playing many of these games.

The closest to fun driving physics I have actually seen in open source games is trigger rally, even if everything is way too "slippery" again. But then it's kinda ruined by how easily your car flips over...

I'm not saying these games are bad. stuntrally has great tracks, relatively pretty graphics, good cars, it just doesn't feel fun to me because of the driving physics that don't feel fitting for this game at all.
          Afaik it has simulation presets and a tire editor, the car parameters are editable too. So if you really wanted, you could make it behave like whatever game you want it to behave like, I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X