Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Joins The Khronos WebGL Working Group

Phoronix: Microsoft Joins The Khronos WebGL Working Group

As some surprising news this morning beyond the Khronos Group working on a new, next-generation API to succeed OpenGL in its current form, Microsoft is back to investing in GL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

Commencing stage one...

Comment

DrawLike DirectX10

Hooray, new exciting apis like "RenderLikeDirectX10" are comming.

Comment

They most probably joined in order to do damage and sabotaging everything. This is MS we're talking about here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilfirin View Post
          Hooray, new exciting apis like "RenderLikeDirectX10" are comming.
          that would be a dream, straight porting from/to dx10 to webgl/opengl

Comment

If they joined to embrace GL then it might be good but Microsoft's track record holds me worried, will they sabotage or try to cripple something or only wants heads up to develop their own thing?
            It can be good but at the same time it worries me.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
              that would be a dream, straight porting from/to dx10 to webgl/opengl
              Yeah hold back by patents and binary blobs that only runs on windows and mac.
              I can't help it but when Microsoft does things like that i always wonder "what's the catch", it might not be any since everyone can change and do the right thing but it wouldn't surprise me if i later goes "i knew there was a catch".

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn
                Embrace, extend, extinguish.

Commencing stage one...
                Originally posted by RealNC
                They most probably joined in order to do damage and sabotaging everything. This is MS we're talking about here.
                o7

Reporting in to confirm this... These were my thoughts, too.

If there is a "101 of Microsoft Monopoly Strategies" then this strategy would make the introduction, have its own chapter and the following chapters would be variations of it.

Knowing M$ history can this just not be good in any possible way. They will see WebGL as a threat, because it is independent and not under their control. They will want to create their own standard in order to keep their customers bound to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  Yeah hold back by patents and binary blobs that only runs on windows and mac.
                  I can't help it but when Microsoft does things like that i always wonder "what's the catch", it might not be any since everyone can change and do the right thing but it wouldn't surprise me if i later goes "i knew there was a catch".
                  I am thinking more of a "hey, lets join them and see what are they doing so we implement it on DX12 before it goes to OpenGL", it's more likely that; Microsoft is not going with the "Embrace, extend, extinguish" here because they have far more market share and DX is on par (if not superior) with OpenGL featurewise, and I don't believe they would want to maintain such a big API just to kill it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
                    I am thinking more of a "hey, lets join them and see what are they doing so we implement it on DX12 before it goes to OpenGL", it's more likely that; Microsoft is not going with the "Embrace, extend, extinguish" here because they have far more market share and DX is on par (if not superior) with OpenGL featurewise, and I don't believe they would want to maintain such a big API just to kill it later.
                    They can already know what GL is doing if they just pay attention to user suggestions. A lot of the extensions and requests are actually taken into OpenGL whenever enough people complain about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X