Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's MacBook (2,1) Now Can Boot With Coreboot

Phoronix: Apple's MacBook (2,1) Now Can Boot With Coreboot

After the Lenovo X200 support the latest laptop supporting Coreboot is Apple's second-generation MacBook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We keep seeing Coreboot advancing which is great, but what will it take for firms to begin to decide to ship their motherboards with Coreboot instead of a standard BIOS? I'd have thought that they'd have liked the idea as it would reduce their costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
      We keep seeing Coreboot advancing which is great, but what will it take for firms to begin to decide to ship their motherboards with Coreboot instead of a standard BIOS? I'd have thought that they'd have liked the idea as it would reduce their costs.
      They're all probably waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig for a CoreBoot+Payload combination that provides a menu-driven, configurable UEFI offering.

If I remember correctly, Chromebooks are using CoreBoot in a manner more like the "edit boot.txt on the flash for basic configuration, recompile and reflash U-Boot for more advanced modifications" setups you tend to see on ARM devices.

Comment

Stop buying macbooks, people!

At least if you plan on running anything other than osx on them.
        This is a long thread (spanning several months), but there is great info about the problems with running alternate OSs on mac hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          At least if you plan on running anything other than osx on them.
          This is a long thread (spanning several months), but there is great info about the problems with running alternate OSs on mac hardware.
          https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...ne/009932.html
          I couldn't find the "great info" about the problems with mac hardware, but instead I got this:

Another approach I took was refusing the premise we even need OS X boot entries in GRUB, so why not just disable os-prober on Macs, and then the four broken OS X options won't even appear. Instead the user can use the built-in firmware boot manager to boot either Fedora or OS X. Maybe there's some legitimate concern some users won't know how to activate this boot manager using the option key at the startup chime? This RFE was likewise proposed a while ago, changed to something else, neither proposal going forward, and then being close without action.
          Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            I couldn't find the "great info"...
            The polite behavior of anonymous internet forum folk never ceases to inspire...

Originally posted by Chris Murphy
            And actually, there are bigger Mac problems than this: wireless, bluetooth, trackpad, and overheating/MCE problems are much worse, maybe deal killers. (At least I can't use Fedora, or any linux, full time right now. It's just way too frustrating, and may even be cooking themselves. [1])
            That is great info, imho. There was more info about various problems with virtual machines/excessive memory use related to running non-osx software on a platform designed to run osx software.
            As I said, the thread is pretty long, and spans several months. To read the entire thread you actually have to click through the different months.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              Try never. What value does a Motherboard manufacturer gain by making Coreboot [LinuxBIOS] ahead of BIOS vendors and UEFI?

Sorry, but these advances are for systems basically no longer under support of any kind, thus 5+ years old.

Every vendor is adopting UEFI.

Get used to it.

The GPLv2 license makes it DOA. GPLv3 would be the ultimate kiss of death.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Try never. What value does a Motherboard manufacturer gain by making Coreboot [LinuxBIOS] ahead of BIOS vendors and UEFI?
                A security clearance.
                If you buy a motherboard running coreboot, and you get the source to that, it essentially means that the motherboard does not contain unknown SMI-based backdoors.
                This is essential for secret services.
                It would not be the first time a "callhome" was hidden in the SMI.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  This is a long thread (spanning several months), but there is great info about the problems with running alternate OSs on mac hardware.[/url]
                  Yawn... an anti-Apple troll, never seen one of those before on the Internet. You *really* want us to pay the Microsoft tax, don't you? Next you're going to tell me how I could have saved $200 by buying a (not equivalent & IMO inferior build quality - and I researched fairly carefully at the time) laptop - like for some reason you think that $2000 for the device I use most in my house is a waste of money... Or maybe you think that I am on low wage and can't afford nice stuff...

Yes, I have a Mac. Yes, I have been running Linux just fine on it for a few years now - and that's why I bought it. Bluetooth, Wireless, Battery, suspend and resume. So yes it turns out that Macs are just UEFI Intel boxes, and there aren't that many different versions of the hardware either. I know people who run Windows on Macs too...

Only problem I have with it? I bought the Nvidia graphics one and Nouveau is not great, I should have gone with Intel... There's a bit of advice Mac or no Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                    Yawn... an anti-Apple troll, never seen one of those before on the Internet. You *really* want us to pay the Microsoft tax, don't you? Next you're going to tell me how I could have saved $200 by buying a (not equivalent & IMO inferior build quality - and I researched fairly carefully at the time) laptop - like for some reason you think that $2000 for the device I use most in my house is a waste of money... Or maybe you think that I am on low wage and can't afford nice stuff...

Yes, I have a Mac. Yes, I have been running Linux just fine on it for a few years now - and that's why I bought it. Bluetooth, Wireless, Battery, suspend and resume. So yes it turns out that Macs are just UEFI Intel boxes, and there aren't that many different versions of the hardware either. I know people who run Windows on Macs too...

Only problem I have with it? I bought the Nvidia graphics one and Nouveau is not great, I should have gone with Intel... There's a bit of advice Mac or no Mac.
                    Well, one thing you should know about me, I am a rabid anti-apple troll
                    Read the thread if you think they are just uefi boxes. Matthew garrett's, on going, work getting macs to work with linux seems to indicate otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X