Patch By Patch, LLVM Clang Gets Better At Building The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch By Patch, LLVM Clang Gets Better At Building The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Patch By Patch, LLVM Clang Gets Better At Building The Linux Kernel

With each kernel revision, LLVM Clang gets closer to being able to build the mainline Linux kernel. There's now just a few dozen patches outstanding for LLVMLinux to be a mainline success...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Considering that we've repeatedly been told that it's better to use GCC to compile the final binary that actually gets used, I'm assuming this endeavour is really only important to devs?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Patch By Patch, LLVM Clang Gets Better At Building The Linux Kernel

With each kernel revision, LLVM Clang gets closer to being able to build the mainline Linux kernel. There's now just a few dozen patches outstanding for LLVMLinux to be a mainline success...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3MDI
      Can't wait to see some benchmarks of GCC Kernel vs. Clang Kernel

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Considering that we've repeatedly been told that it's better to use GCC to compile the final binary that actually gets used, I'm assuming this endeavour is really only important to devs?
        That's true at the moment but it may not be true forever, especially since some GCC devs will be busy with the modularization and refactoring work that the GCC camp wants to do, meanwhile LLVM devs will be busy with performance improvements
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

By "the final binary" you mean the kernel binary, right.
          Anyway I don't give a flying banana about if LLVM compiles the Linux kernel, what 99.99% devs want for LLVM is a proper port to window$.

Comment

LLVM and Clang are more liberally licensed.
            What? Allow large companies, like Apple, to privatize the code and use it as if it were unique creation; IT is have liberty?

Clang shows to be really amazing , but the BSD license and the influence of Apple on code leaves me "on the back foot."

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
              What? Allow large companies, like Apple, to privatize the code and use it as if it were unique creation; IT is have liberty?

Clang shows to be really amazing , but the BSD license and the influence of Apple on code leaves me "on the back foot."
              I was waiting for this, now gotta wait for an anti-systemd troll to make my night.

Comment

This endeavor is being undertaken so that companies can compile the kernel without using a GPLv3 compiler. It's important to them that they aren't permanently stuck on GCC4.2 for the rest of time.

Comment

Originally posted by oneofone View Post
                  I was waiting for this, now gotta wait for an anti-systemd troll to make my night.
                  I'm a idealist and I find this offensive :P
                  I'm not a extremist, I just don't agree with BSD licenses and the how the big companies try to control FOSS, just because this represent a imminent problem for them...

BTW, I hate systemd! hahaha
                  Serious now, Clang seems to be really good and more structured then old GCC. Not because I do not agree with the license that I will not use it ... since this has the source code, it's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    By "the final binary" you mean the kernel binary, right.
                    Anyway I don't give a flying banana about if LLVM compiles the Linux kernel, what 99.99% devs want for LLVM is a proper port to window$.
                    Those Windows devs should put their money where their mouth is, then.

Comment

Working...
                    X