Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's RadeonSI Driver Sped Up A Lot This Summer

Phoronix: AMD's RadeonSI Driver Sped Up A Lot This Summer

Compared to the state of AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D driver stack shipped in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS back in April, the latest open-source graphics driver code for the Radeon HD 7000 series GPUs and newer is a heck of a lot faster. Here's some tests showing how much progress has been made the past few months.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The PPA is using llvm-3.5 since some time.

Coming up in the next few days are even some other more exciting Linux GPU tests. If you appreciate all of the Linux hardware testing, please make a contribution or join Phoronix Premium.
    You may also consider supporting the PPA, which also include gallium-nine currently .

Comment

Good timing cause I got a 7850 off Ebay for $80. Gotta love how everyone is now selling their Bit Coin cards for cheap.

Comment

Maybe around this time next year, the FOSS radeon driver has caught up with Catalyst in performance. At least for the cards that are out today.

Comment

In general you see a lag in performance along major architectural lines, not year-to-year generation lines. In other words performance improvements for SI should also benefit later cards using GCN. The big "break" in terms of performance benefits rolling forward was between VLIW and GCN.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            In general you see a lag in performance along major architectural lines, not year-to-year generation lines. In other words performance improvements for SI should also benefit later cards using GCN. The big "break" in terms of performance benefits rolling forward was between VLIW and GCN.
            Awesome to hear. Forgive my ignorance, but do you work on the FOSS driver or Catalyst?

I'm hoping to exchange my GTX 670 for a Radeon card in the future, and get a performance upgrade while using the FOSS driver.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              Awesome to hear. Forgive my ignorance, but do you work on the FOSS driver or Catalyst?

I'm hoping to exchange my GTX 670 for a Radeon card in the future, and get a performance upgrade while using the FOSS driver.
              I volunteered to set up the open source graphics effort back in 2007 and was its pointy-haired boss until a couple of years ago, then I moved to Linux HSA. The Linux HSA stack is also going to be open source - the kernel driver and libdrm-level userspace lib are already public, and we're working on getting the remaining bits out now.

The HSA stack needs to work with both open and closed source graphics drivers, so I guess the best answer to your question is "yes"
              Last edited by bridgman; 22 August 2014, 03:12 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Speed is nice, but hopefully stability can be worked on a bit. Random lockups with just web browsing and picture viewing wasn't too ideal :/ But I guess that's the cost of running bleeding-edge stuff/

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  Speed is nice, but hopefully stability can be worked on a bit. Random lockups with just web browsing and picture viewing wasn't too ideal :/ But I guess that's the cost of running bleeding-edge stuff/
                  Some users reported great stability with current agd5f's drm-fixes-3.17 kernel so i installed it and will try hard to broke it in the next few days

Of course that by reading bugzilla and trying to avoid known bugs .

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I volunteered to set up the open source graphics effort back in 2007 and was its pointy-haired boss until a couple of years ago, then I moved to Linux HSA. The Linux HSA stack is also going to be open source - the kernel driver and libdrm-level userspace lib are already public, and we're working on getting the remaining bits out now.

The HSA stack needs to work with both open and closed source graphics drivers, so I guess the best answer to your question is "yes"
                    Can you give a ballpark estimate on when the OSS support or GPU based OpenCL/HSA will be ready? Looking at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/ it looks like theres still a ton of work to be done to reach OpenCL 1.0 even after all this time, let alone 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0.
                    Last edited by Kivada; 23 August 2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X