Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Will Try To Release Before Thanksgiving

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Try To Release Before Thanksgiving

Today was another FESCo meeting but fortunately no further Fedora 21 delay was announced today, but it could happen with the F21 alpha change deadline being today and the developers trying to get an approved build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora was my favorite distro once. Now, I'm forced to use ubuntu. They messed too much things up. Especially the installer. I was not able to install Fedora 17/18, maybe 19, too, because the installer was just broken. After selecting my native language, I was not able to continue with the "continue" button, because it just did nothing.
    There are several other things, too, which I don't like. SELinux is the perfect example. I just don't need it and it makes unneccessary problems with wine, for example. And enabling lvm by default is a mess, because it slows down the boot time.
    The most thing I like on fedora is systemd. I miss it on ubuntu! And the focus on wayland, of course.

Regards,
    Steffo

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Fedora was my favorite distro once. Now, I'm forced to use ubuntu. They messed too much things up. Especially the installer. I was not able to install Fedora 17/18, maybe 19, too, because the installer was just broken. After selecting my native language, I was not able to continue with the "continue" button, because it just did nothing.
      There are several other things, too, which I don't like. SELinux is the perfect example. I just don't need it and it makes unneccessary problems with wine, for example. And enabling lvm by default is a mess, because it slows down the boot time.
      The most thing I like on fedora is systemd. I miss it on ubuntu! And the focus on wayland, of course.
      You should give it another try. I'm no Fedora fanboy (Gentoo actually!) but I do use it at work. I felt your pain with the installer, 18 and 19 were a car crash. I ended up installing 17 and upgrading. I had to install 20 a couple of days ago and I was dreading it. Although the partition tool is rather unintuitive if you actually know what you're doing, it did at least allow me to get the setup I wanted this time, which was impossible since 18. I'm talking about RAID 1 + LUKS + LVM. It did take two attempts though. On the first attempt, I ended up encrypting the root volume twice because I'd ticked the encryption box in two places. This wasn't helped by the fact that it greys out the volume encryption box out when you encrypt the whole volume group. Luckily I realised straight away where I'd gone wrong.

As for SELinux, it's very easy to put the system in permissive mode.

Comment

I'll give it a try on fedora 21, maybe.
        Thx.

Regards,
        Steffo

Comment

I just wanted to nagging on fedora 20 because it has a very old mesa version, was it even 10.2? I thought it was a week ago still version 10.1, now its actually 10.3rc1!

So Michael thats definitaly worth a news. I hope I dont make your job :P

k checked it, the first fc20 10.3 mesa version is 6 days old, before it was 10.2.5 so not SOOO Old but definitivly to old for fedora
          Last edited by blackiwid; 28 August 2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I'm on Suse 13.1as my main distro. I might have been tempted to switch to Fedora 21, but it doesn't look like they're going to beat 13.2 by much if at all now. I've got a radon HD 7790 running three monitors. This set up is finally usable with the open source driver in the latest kernels although it still doesn't run as well as catalyst, so I'm looking forward to upgrading although I don't think either Fedora 21 or Suse 13.2 will have KDE 5 let alone Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              After selecting my native language, I was not able to continue with the "continue" button, because it just did nothing.
              how hard it was to not select your native language and use english during install ?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                how hard it was to not select your native language and use english during install ?
                That sorta defeats the purpose of the language chooser, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                X