Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking On The Performance Of PHP 5.6

Phoronix: Checking On The Performance Of PHP 5.6

With this morning's release of PHP 5.6 I ran some quick PHP performance tests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if these test where run on the cli or with a web server running opcache. Opcache makes a lot of difference after a warmup.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      I wonder if these test where run on the cli or with a web server running opcache. Opcache makes a lot of difference after a warmup.
      Done using the CLI, of course, when it comes to the PTS client itself...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Are any of these tests being done with "optimized" code? That is, code that is changed per-version to take advantage of new features?
        Or does it only use basic features that doesn't change much between releases?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Are any of these tests being done with "optimized" code? That is, code that is changed per-version to take advantage of new features?
          Or does it only use basic features that doesn't change much between releases?
          The same code-paths are being tested. There's nothing PHP 5.5/5.6-specific within the PTS code-base at this time with the minimum baseline for compatibility being PHP 5.3.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder if it's relevant in any way to benchmark PHP. It's interpreted so it can't be fast. If you need speed, nowadays you use GPU acceleration or buy more cores. In server use, throughput > latency.

Comment

Working...
            X