Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Chromebook "Samus" Now Supported By Coreboot

Phoronix: Google's Chromebook "Samus" Now Supported By Coreboot

As of today Google's upcoming "Samus" Chromebook is supported by Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

shay muss? Frum Oilun?
    Hi

Comment

If it offers more freedom (installing your own os) and storage than the original pixel it will be good.

Comment

What "both types of memory"?

Comment

Price

Hope it has a better price than the Chromebook Pixel which was insanely expensive.

One can hope for more RAM too and a bigger SSD.

I wonder if it will have that same weird screen aspect ratio as the Pixel too.

Comment

Right. Google knows how to design good hardware, they know Coreboot and it is in their self-interest to promote Linux use alongside their Chrome*/Android platforms as that usage will another growing wedge off Microsoft's efforts to retake control.

Chromebooks will benefit from economies of scale so if someone at Google could manage to convince the restriction-freak management to relax a bit and release the odd version of chromebook that 1) supports installing any 'reference' distro of Linux and 2) is easily expandable (with generally available standard hardware) they'd help themselves while also extending an olive branch to the community that has enabled their rise to power and wealth in the first place.

Of course OEMs could design such devices as well, unless Google has contractually restricted them from enabling their users.

Comment

And here I thought CoreBoot only supported old hardware still. This excites me. I am not pleased with the UEFI most laptops use.

Comment

It's a reverse trap.

Comment

Is it a chromebook meant for gaming? Does it come with Metroid pre-installed?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Is it a chromebook meant for gaming? Does it come with Metroid pre-installed?
                    You can do gaming with WebGL, and HTML5 canvas. I guess with Google Native Client (NaCl) too.
                    Or just install crouton then you can install Steam.

Comment

Working...
                    X