Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Redux Is Going To Require OpenGL 4.x On Linux

Phoronix: Metro Redux Is Going To Require OpenGL 4.x On Linux

Metro Redux is on its way to Linux and it will require Linux gamers have OpenGL 4.x core support. For now this means that right off the bat the open-source Mesa/Gallium3D drivers are off-limits for the time being...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course I'm a biased Nvidia blob user, but I'm glad they're shooting for OpenGL 4.x. We need games to look at least as good on Linux as on Windows.

Comment

In due time

Before the port is done, a new version of Mesa will probably be released with support for OpenGL 4.0 support, perhaps even OpenGL 4.2 support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Before the port is done, a new version of Mesa will probably be released with support for OpenGL 4.0 support, perhaps even OpenGL 4.2 support.
        Virtually Mesa supports OGL4.2, with some small bits and one big (tessalation) missing. Does this game support tessalation?

Comment

I'm happy they're not holding back progress. It's great to see a full OpenGL 4.x game and it's definitely not the Metro developers' fault that Mesa doesn't fully support it yet. They should take advantage of what is currently possible on Linux, and that's what they do by using the latest OpenGL version.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            Virtually Mesa supports OGL4.2, with some small bits and one big (tessalation) missing. Does this game support tessalation?
            For Redux we are essentially replicating the DX11 version, with almost one-to-one correspondence in features.
            Metro uses tessellation when running with dx11 so probably there's going to need tessellation on OpenGL too... maybe it could be disabled.

Comment

The same thing happened with Unigine games and demos when they changed to require GL 3.2 but only 3.0 was supported

The only thing that was missing was Geometry Shaders - which Unigine didn't use. So overriding the advertised version with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.0FC MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=400 will probably do the trick unless the game uses Tessellation or Compute Shaders

I'm also willing to bet that any functions the games use that haven't been added will be put up the priority list when these games are launched

Comment

Judging by the progress showed by the MESA devs recently, I think just after the start of the new year the MESA will be pretty much aligned with the last spec and from that point go on, I guess will be more easy maintain the parity.
                So, we will have interesting days in front of us.

Comment

Does that mean that the minimum requirement will be the HD 5000 and Geforce 400 and above?
                  The Windows version works on DX10/10.1 GPUs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                    Judging by the progress showed by the MESA devs recently, I think just after the start of the new year the MESA will be pretty much aligned with the last spec and from that point go on, I guess will be more easy maintain the parity.
                    Yes but you have to keep in mind that the blobs generally contain YEARS of per-game optimization... Getting to feature parity is one thing, getting to performance parity is another...

Comment

Working...
                    X