Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI Motherboard BIOS Updating Remains A Pain For Linux Users

Phoronix: MSI Motherboard BIOS Updating Remains A Pain For Linux Users

While most if not all of the modern motherboards produced by MSI allow BIOS/UEFI updating to happen from within the BIOS setup utility and done using a USB flash drive -- as is also the case with most other motherboard vendors -- for Linux users the updating can be a bit more of a headache for MSI motherboards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MSI Motherboard BIOS Updating Remains A Pain For Linux Users

While most if not all of the modern motherboards produced by MSI allow BIOS/UEFI updating to happen from within the BIOS setup utility and done using a USB flash drive -- as is also the case with most other motherboard vendors -- for Linux users the updating can be a bit more of a headache for MSI motherboards...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NzI
    What cave have you been living in? http://flashrom.org/Flashrom Those in-bios flashing utilities are broken half the time anyway.

Comment

Not the most "ideal" situation, but what about just asking on their user-to-user forums for someone to extract the BIOS and upload it? Perhaps if enough people ask for it, it could be something that's just done with every new BIOS release. This would of course depend on someone to have Windows, to have your particular motherboard, and to have the time/patience to take the time to extract and upload it...

I ordered a 990FXA-GD80V2 recently; so it looks like I'll just ask on their forums for the BIOS now in-case the board I get isn't up-to-date.

Comment

Last time when I upgrade mi MSI Gamgin 3 in the zip was an exe but the extracted rom too, it worked fine without using windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
          Last time when I upgrade mi MSI Gamgin 3 in the zip was an exe but the extracted rom too, it worked fine without using windows.
          The archive for the latest 990FXA-GD80V2 BIOS only has the exe, but the date on that BIOS is 2013-09-26. Maybe newer BIOS packages have the executable and BIOS file?

Comment

Are there tools to mod bios from linux?

Comment

Just fire up IDA or Ollydbg and bypass those stupid checks.

Comment

I had similar problems a few months ago when I was updating the BIOS on my MSI board. What I did was make a DOS live USB and running the EXE from that environment.

Comment

I've been using Asus boards and I haven't had those issues. I can flash from a USB drive just fine.

I do have an Asrock server board that requires, of all things, FreeDOS to interface with the BCM. Some MFR's do weird things sometimes.

Comment

Cool that I have AsRock mobo, it's update firmware over internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X