Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases OpenGL 4.3 Driver For Haswell... On Windows

Phoronix: Intel Releases OpenGL 4.3 Driver For Haswell... On Windows

Intel has made another step forward for their HD/Iris Graphics driver in their OpenGL support, except this time on Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I'm wondering what architectural problems prevent Intel from just ripping out the extension implementations of all the missing stuff from GL4-4.3 (ex: Tessellation, but also all the 4.3 goodies) and bringing them into Mesa from their proprietary Windows driver?

Unless their Windows driver is so bad fresh code implementing extensions has no commonality with Mesa? I guess its just legal, same reason AMD can't bring their implementations from Catalyst over.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      So I'm wondering what architectural problems prevent Intel from just ripping out the extension implementations of all the missing stuff from GL4-4.3 (ex: Tessellation, but also all the 4.3 goodies) and bringing them into Mesa from their proprietary Windows driver?
      First of all Intel have two completely separate developments teams for Windows and Linux drivers and there also dedicated team which inside Intel OTC which work on Linux OpenCL implementation. So developers of Windows drivers likely have no idea how Linux graphics stack works and Linux developers likely have no idea about their Windows drivers.

Also in general you can't just cut code from complete proprietary solution and paste it into Mesa just because they're likely to different. And what more important Intel windows OpenGL drivers isn't best or most stable drivers ever and have position of worst GL driver on Windows.
      Last edited by _SXX_; 03 September 2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Why did Intel leave Ivy Bridge at 4.0?

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
          Lol what a noobie question Why did the chicken cross the road ?

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
            Lol what a noobie question Why did the chicken cross the road ?
            There was a bar with hookers on the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
              I can't speak for the Windows driver team, but as a Mesa developer, I don't see any reason why Ivybridge couldn't do 4.3 as well. There's certainly nothing hard in 4.1.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

I'm still waiting for somebody smarter than me to compile the major Linux FOSS drivers for use on Windows. Once the companies realize "hey, we can support ALL of our platforms from this ONE driver that is WAY BETTER than our proprietary one!" I feel like we may see a large size increase in the FOSS driver development teams.

I mean, Mesa IS supposed to be "cross platform" right? (at the very least, Gallium should be platform-agnostic enough for it to work... if Mesa turns out not to be, AMD/Nvidia could just write an OpenGL state-tracker for the Windows version)

Comment

not so simple

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  I'm still waiting for somebody smarter than me to compile the major Linux FOSS drivers for use on Windows. Once the companies realize "hey, we can support ALL of our platforms from this ONE driver that is WAY BETTER than our proprietary one!" I feel like we may see a large size increase in the FOSS driver development teams.

I mean, Mesa IS supposed to be "cross platform" right? (at the very least, Gallium should be platform-agnostic enough for it to work... if Mesa turns out not to be, AMD/Nvidia could just write an OpenGL state-tracker for the Windows version)

nvidia and amd propry* drivers have many and many years of work making a drivers quality for games using will make a lot of years, and m$ wants directx not opengl in their OS, is the only thing who put in the front of market. i don't worry about this opengl 4.3 driver, in one year mesa intel will ready for 4.5, some few extensions and ogl 4.3 is ready for use opengl es 3.1 is almost

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    nvidia and amd propry* drivers have many and many years of work making a drivers quality for games using will make a lot of years, and m$ wants directx not opengl in their OS, is the only thing who put in the front of market. i don't worry about this opengl 4.3 driver, in one year mesa intel will ready for 4.5, some few extensions and ogl 4.3 is ready for use opengl es 3.1 is almost
                    (1) Nvidia and AMD have many many years of making drivers **that are forced to have per-game performance hacks** (make what you will of that...)

(2) There is currently a working DX9 state tracker available for Gallium. Assuming we can borrow some code from that for the DX11 state tracker, AMD/Nvidia drivers shouldn't have a problem in that department.

(3) I'm not so much worried about OpenGL compliance as I am overall performance of the drivers. If AMD/Nvidia actually had full teams working on the FOSS drivers, at this point they would probably surpass the proprietary drivers in general performance (you know, on tests that don't have performance hacks hardwired into the driver...)

Comment

Working...
                    X