Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.14 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.14 Beta 2 Released

The second beta release to the GNOME 3.14 desktop stack due out later this month is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Release schedule

It would be cool if GNOME synced their release schedule with Fedora or Ubuntu or something...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It would be cool if GNOME synced their release schedule with Fedora or Ubuntu or something...
      Originally GNOME releases were based on Red Hat Linux (not RHEL) and hence Fedora and GNOME used to have a fairly aligned schedule. Ubuntu as well later on. However Fedora as a distribution doesn't have a strict time based schedule and is willing to delay releases to fix release critical bugs. GNOME generally has a number of bug fix releases as well. So other than say Fedora 21 release which has been exceptional long due to major project level changes, I would say it has worked well for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Originally GNOME releases were based on Red Hat Linux (not RHEL) and hence Fedora and GNOME used to have a fairly aligned schedule. Ubuntu as well later on. However Fedora as a distribution doesn't have a strict time based schedule and is willing to delay releases to fix release critical bugs. GNOME generally has a number of bug fix releases as well. So other than say Fedora 21 release which has been exceptional long due to major project level changes, I would say it has worked well for everyone.
        But if you look at Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" which isn't even released yet, it still have plenty of packages which are from GNONE 3.10, and 3.8, a few even from 3.6.

Comment

But if you look at Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" which isn't even released yet, it still have plenty of packages which are from GNONE 3.10, and 3.8, a few even from 3.6.
          That is because many of Ubuntu's distro-specific configurations and shell stuff don't play well with the newer versions. Canonical is so spread out that not much is being done to work on the newer Gnome releases on Ubuntu. I'm interested to see how they deal with things like Header Bars and whatnot.

Ubuntu actually used to have a brilliant idea of syncing with Gnome's release schedule - The latest version of Ubuntu would follow Gnome's latest version, but a few months later so that the last-minute bugs could be worked out.

One of Mark Shuttleworth's blogs from many years ago addresses this in pretty great detail - I cannot find it right now but it's one from the early days from Ubuntu.

Comment

Sure but that isn't a question of timing.

Comment

I actually tested this build yesterday, and I have to say it wasn't that exciting from the tip of the iceberg that GNOME is. There have not been many user-facing changes this time, other than that Adwaita theme refresh which in my humble opinion is looking a bit worse than before. Judging the blog entries at planet.gnome.org it seems like many GNOME applications did receive love from GSoC participants, although many of these changes may not reach 3.14 on time.

I was expecting the revamped GTK file chooser, and Nautilus to use pop-overs for its menus, like Gedit.

The good news for extension developers is that Gnome Shell's codebase is way more stable than years ago. My extension went smooth with the upgrade.

Comment

When are they going to have full wayland support so i can dump Xorg?

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
                  When are they going to have full wayland support so i can dump Xorg?
                  GNOME supporting Wayland is not automatically going to lead you to dump Xorg since usually there are a wide variety of apps using Xorg but anyway the current status is documented at

Althought that is a Fedora feature page, all changes are pushed upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    However Fedora as a distribution doesn't have a strict time based schedule and is willing to delay releases to fix release critical bugs.
                    this should never sound as excuse. this was/is best feature fedora ever decided on

no matter how i tried to find equal distro, i always found either bleeding edge and buggy or stable and old. fedora is the only one that is both out of the box for the simple reason of preferring quality over release date.

Comment

Working...
                    X